Tuesday 26 January 2021

Understanding dreams

 Icey, I'll look out for that series.


Taking Beano out for his morning walk I fell arse over tit, landed flat on my back in front of the marina maintenance man, he was just telling me to be careful as the slope was icy. It's the second time I've fallen over in front of him.

Anyway on to the meaning of dreams.

Last night I dreamt that Steve and I had gone to the bank, he needed to make an appointment and to do so had to go upstairs. Steve can go upstairs but struggles to get down again so I went up instead. It took me sometime to make the appointment as the two gentlemen would insist on turning their backs to me. When I eventually returned downstairs Steve had left, this didn't surprise me as he is notoriously impatient. I tried to phone him but my calls reached a weather forecast. I sat on a bench waiting to see if Steve returned and an acquaintance arrived and kissed me. He had a moustache that scratched my face, as he left someone gave me a white rabbit that someone else tried to take from me. Make it that what you will! I assume the men turning their backs to me is because my deafness is causing communication problems. I was not a kissy, huggy person in real life even before Covid but have always accepted that some people are. I don't mind facial hair as both my husband's had/have it. Maybe the rest of the dream was just ephemera, random rubbish triggered by something I've read.

I had a family member who lived with his wife in a small bedsit, the wife was at least 20 years younger than the husband and they were a very devoted couple and I think I was curious about their relationship, I sometimes dreamt that there were many more rooms in their home than there actually was. I assume this dream represented my curiosity.

There a few well known dream meanings, if you dream you are naked it suggests uncertainty.

I'd you dream of falling it suggests anxiety.

If you cannot find a toilet, it suggest you cannot express yourself.

If you dream about losing teeth it suggests you are worried about how you are perceived.

I would disagree with some of these, if I dream about needing the toilet it's because I need the toilet!

When I was younger I frequently dreamt of falling, it got so bad that  taught myself dream control, so I would turn the fall into a float and drift gently to the ground.

When I dream about losing teeth this is because I've had horrendous problems with my teeth. My childhood did not include stuff like soap, toothpaste or toothbrushes. It did include brutal school dentists, a phobic mother, a tendency to vomit when given gas and air and roots that have become embedded in bone and now require a hammer and chisel to remove them.


9 comments:

Ellen D. said...

I dreamed that I had to be in a play and I was not sure of my lines and all of the actors (just ordinary people and children) were running around not knowing what to do. I was worried about performing for an audience but I woke up so do not know how it turned out. I was quite worried in my dream.
Be careful and watch the ice!

pat chester said...

I know that I dream about not finding a toilet and when I wake up I need to go to the loo. So can identify what you said.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I don't like the sound of that hammer and chisel.

Chris said...

Yes, have had the "can't find a toilet" dream frequently! Sorry to hear of your bad experiences with dentists.

Col said...

I took early retirement from work almost eight years ago, and yet I still have awful dreams (not exactly nightmares, but very confusing and horrible dreams) where I'm at work and the staff are cutting me out of conversations, planning events etc without me.
I used to have these dreams when I was still working, but in those days I had to go and face the people I'd dreamed about, which was awful, I was very unhappy for the last few years at work, and got out as soon as I got the chance.
I still have the dreams, and often wake up crying, with my pillow soaked with tears, but then remember that I don't have to see any of those poisonous people ever again, and the sense of relief and happiness is amazing!

Carruthers said...

Deep rooted teeth are are pain, literally - aren't they? Getting mine out on the odd occasions they've had to was always a major engineering job!

Ruth said...

That toilet dream certainly is a 'wake up call'! I, too, have changed my dreams when they are upsetting. I visualize shaking the dreamscape so that it all turns to beautiful colors of sand and runs all together and disappears.
If I still had bad dreams after 8 years of retiring, I'd be changing the poisonous people into flowers, so there would be a lovely garden at my feet. Or imagine that they were actually secretly planning a party with cake and flowers...

Col said...

This is for Ruth...
If I COULD change the poisonous people into flowers, believe me, I WOULD! I seemingly have no ability to do anything to my dreams, except occasionally being able to force myself to wake up, thereby escaping the poisonous folk!

LameWolf said...

For COL
You have my sympathy; I still have nightmares about my toxic childhood more than 50 years down the line, and like you, I seem to have no ability to change the dream.

On a more general note, my husband frequently has the "can't find a toilet" dream, or he finds one and there's some reason he can't use it. Invariably it means he needs to trot off to the toilet.

Wednesday

My Oddbox arrived this morning and I've shared it with Betty, in it there were potatoes, onions, spinach, aubergine, a huge cauliflower ...