Saturday 9 December 2017

Where the money comes from.

I've written a post about where the money goes, so here's one about where the incoming money comes from.

CHS is still working and earning a low wage, at least half of his money goes into savings as we need to be prepared for any boat problems, there is a big expense coming up soon that I will do another post about.

Our house is rented out, the rent covers the mortgage and a little extra. There has been no profit so far as there have been problems with the plumbing in the house. We have spent about £1000 more in repairs than we have received in rent so far. We have now been advised that the decking is wrecked and needs replacing in the new year, we need to negotiate who pays as it has been wrecked by the tenant leaving it covered in plastic for the last 5 months. She has been advised twice that the plastic covering would damage the decking but carried on regardless.

I get my state pension of £595 but no private pension, I lost that when I got divorced. This goes into the joint account along with some of CHS's wage, this pays for coal, diesel for the boat, petrol for the car, food, TV license etc. I also received my winter fuel payment, £200. This will pay for Christmas this year.

I still clean boats but this is less often in the winter months. This month I've only done two boat cleans, so £50, plus I was paid £50 for some market research.

This is my money to do with as I wish, most of it goes on the DGC , books for my kindle or yarn to crochet with, though I try to save at least half of it in case we have a problem and need some extra for an emergency.





5 comments:

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

I have a rental property and have been very fortunate for 3 years. However this last year has seen us pay out affair bit. We are still in profit but the constant repairs (some I've deemed unnecessary) have sound us up as the house is only 7 years old. Seriously considering selling next year.

justjill said...

I can't see why you should have to pay for the decking. If she has been told to remove the plastic and hasnt.... You get more state pension than me!

Hard up Hester said...

Hi JJ I delayed my retirement for 5 years, maybe that is why.

Chris said...

Great that you are managing to save something each month. Emergencies have a horrible habit of arriving when you are least prepared for them!

herbert said...

We also rent out a place. Have seen some absolutely ridiculous claims from tenant including the shower didn't work (she didn't pull the chord to turn it on) and someone possibly her friend had taken up 'free' residence in the loft. So glad when she decided to leave..

Feeling stressed.

I'm worried about Beano, his nose is warm and dry and he hasn't wanted to go out for his usual walks today. My face is sore it feels...