Tuesday 23 January 2018

Canal time

We are having our new engine fitted this week, it's happening in canal time, this is different from normal time.
The engineer was supposed to be here first thing Monday morning. CHS was up dressed and pacing the deck by 7:30. The engineer arrived about 10. I was expecting him around lunch time Tuesday so I was pleasantly surprised.

CHS really struggles with canal time I keep thinking he's mastered it but then I realise he hasn't.

No one rushes on the canal, probably because the boats travel at 4 miles an hour people slow down as well.

Every job we have had done on the boat has taken 3 times as long as promised, but as the price remains the same I don't mind.

CHS and I have some animated discussions (blazing rows) about this when we are cruising.  He doesn't feel I'm making enough effort to break the world speed record for lock operating.

It got to the stage where I refused to go out because he got so het up about me not getting the locks and bridges open fast enough.

This was a problem as we are leaving the marina soon to become constant cruisers!

In the end I asked some of the weekend lock volunteer's to have a word with him. They explained that there is no need to rush at the locks. Slow and safe is the best way.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've timed myself and my average cruising speed in the fast lane of the canal is under 3mph... there have been times when I've pulled over to let other boats past (before they get bored and ask).

I rushed at the last lock that I worked through and was tempted to open that last half-paddle (the lock was a leaker...) - the Cardinal took off like a scalded whippet and headbutted the front gates (even though I was hanging onto the centreline like a prop forward). Never again.

I didn't get where I am today by rushing.

Shan't get wherever I end up next week by rushing, either. ;-)

Sue in Suffolk said...

Go too fast with the windlass and lose hold and the darn thing will zoom off at 90mph and land in the lock. Slow and steady sounds best

Elaine said...

I was about to mention my brother's experience (dieselelectric) - but I see that he has beaten me to it!

Rachel Phillips said...

Even if it is canal time, a time is still a time. I am with your man

Dc said...

Let him open the locks, that will slow him down!

Hard up Hester said...

Thank you all for your comments.
Dc, if i let him open the locks I have to steer the boat and I do that wrong too, lol.
Rachel, I agree that a time is a time, but the phrase first thing was open to misinterpretation.
Yes Sue, exactly.
Ian, I love your blog an have always enjoyed your meandering travels. Once I can persuade the captain to slow down it will be fine.
Thanks Elaine.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the Pembrokeshire promise...

Walking with a list on.

Y'day I had to take my stick to lean on when I went out, today I don't need my stick but I can't walk in a straight line. Nemmin...