Tuesday 30 January 2018

Scratching around for pennies updated

So Christmas was budgeted for as were two January birthdays.
We have saved up for the engine change but there have been a few problems that have increased the bill by £400, our choice mostly.
And then there was a broken tile on my house £80 there is a large stain on the bathroom ceiling and the tenant wants it repainted which means the whole bathroom needs doing.

My monthly budget starts on the first of the month so although CHS got paid last week and we still have  savings left I decided to manage with what I had.

Raiding the freezer doesn't yield much, it's a very tiny freezer but I found a few slices of liver and 4 sausages.  I found a £2 coin in the car, so my shopping list today was onions and milk. Total cost £1.46

We will have liver and bacon tonight and sausage casserole tomorrow. I have chicken thighs too but we had chicken on Monday.

CHS announced on the way to work that the boat engineer needed an empty milk bottle today so when I got back to the boat could I 'throw the milk away and rinse out the bottle'!
Throw a pint of milk away? Not bloody likely!
I had porridge for breakfast and made cheese sauce with the rest of it as I have a cauliflower, it will go nicely with the liver and bacon.





5 comments:

Col said...

CHS hasn't really got the idea of frugality has he? It's a man thing!
I'm not really trying to be frugal, but there's no way on earth that I'd throw a pint of milk away, I'm not daft!
I tried really hard, but just couldn't keep my opinions to myself a few weeks ago when we had a meal out; The woman at the next table ordered beef stroganoff with rice, and asked for the rice in a separate bowl. She ate the stroganoff, but didn't touch the rice at all. When the waiter came to clear the table, he asked if everything was good, or did she find the rice not to her taste. She said "Oh, I never eat rice, but as I'm being charged for it, I make sure that it gets used".
Oh, I flipped out! I said "Excuse me for earwigging your conversation, but do you have any idea just many children on this earth are starving to death for want of a bowl of rice? Wasting food, especially rice, in that way is criminal!"
As was to be expected, she didn't take kindly to my remark, but as we were just getting ready to pay the bill and leave, I couldn't care less!
I doubt that she'll change her attitude, but hey, sometimes miracles happen!

Cheryl said...

That is sad that someone would just throw away the rice instead of not having it brought to her or taking it home to feed someone else. Hope she is never hungry or low on funds and that rice would be useful. Cheryl

Jean said...

I like your scratching for pennies. I find it very satisfying. No I couldn't throw milk away either.

Anonymous said...

Just started reading your blog and really enjoying it!,I had the same thing happen ..but the other way round...I was at a Bed n Breakfast place in Skegness,a few years ago and told the lady who owned the house and also served the meals,that all through our stay,i didnt want any cereal and i was quite happy to sit and wait while everyone else ate theirs.Then we would have fry up at the same time......Every day she served me cereal!!!.On the second day i gave it her back and said its a shame to waste it cause i dont eat it...she replied that i have to have it put in front of me else I would spoil her routine!!...She wasnt joking either,lol,Debi,x

Hard up Hester said...

Welcome Debi, thanks for your comments Jean, Col and Cheryl.
I find some people are very wasteful I have a neighbour who buys a crusty loaf twice a week and throws most of the loaves away.

Wardrobe

We have a wardrobe in the bedroom that was left by the previous resident. It is perfectly sound but it smells of stinky feet. I've tried...