Monday 22 July 2019

New vocabulary

When we bought our first boat we had to learn a new vocabulary.
Galvanic isolaters, sacrificial anodes, winding instead of turning.

Now we have a dog there is another list of words to learn.

Whereas I would say that Beano doesn't chase things it seems I should be saying he isn't prey driven. 

He's not scruffy, he's broken coated.

He doesn't always come when he's called, I think it's selective deafness.

But I'm told he's scenting.

There are loads more, but you get my drift.

7 comments:

justjill said...

I understand what you say. PC gone mad!

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

Well I never, I am completely aghast. I would never have known to say any of those terms.

Joan (Devon) said...

We've had dogs for over forty-five years and I've never heard of any of those expressions. You must be mixing with the hoi-poloi, lol.

Hard up Hester said...

It seems to be mainly JRT owners who say these things,

Anonymous said...

My canine companions are blowing their coats now. Used to say the little buggers are shedding.
Joyce

Rambler said...

Personally, I would better understand what you're saying when you use your own language. Those alternatives are ridiculous! There's nothing 'broken' about Beano's coat - it just lies every which way and therefore makes him look scruffy. Simples!

Hard up Hester said...

Joyce I call it shedding too and frequently call hmm a bugger.

Rambler yes scruffy is exactly right.

Wardrobe

We have a wardrobe in the bedroom that was left by the previous resident. It is perfectly sound but it smells of stinky feet. I've tried...