Friday 10 January 2020

It's all over

Today is officially Steve's last working day, he hasn't actually worked since 17th October 2019 but it's still hit him hard and he's been very emotional today.

We've tried to keep busy, Beano has had lots of walks, we took the boat across for a pump out and we went for a pub lunch.

We went to the Angel at Woolhampton, it's dog friendly and they serve small portions if requested. Steve had a burger followed by chocolate brownie and ice cream and I had a half portion of  pea, mint and asparagus risotto. Both meals were delicious. Beano was very good and snoozed on the floor whilst we ate.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done for marking the day, even though it is not the retirement Steve worked so hard for.
Siobhan

Angela said...

In total agreement with Siobhan's comments

busybusybeejay said...

Perhaps Steve can now come to terms with the fact his working life is over and a new chapter starts.You are so good with him and so patient.
Sounds like a lovely lunch out.

justjill said...

Hopefully Steve will move on now. Settle into retirement proper and enjoy some of it. xx

VC said...

I think it must be difficult to have retirement forced upon you sooner than you hoped but you have each other and despite the difficulties much to look forward to together. My father died before he had the chance to retire. It sounds really difficult for you both at the moment but hopefully things will improve for you both!

LameWolf said...

Been there; so I can understand how hard it was for Steve. I was given medical retirement at the age of 41; I'd been on sick leave for two years, but it still hit hard when I finally got told "that's it, you're retired" - it felt like being thrown on the scrap heap.
I'm glad you were able to have a lovely lunch out - I shall note the name of the place, as I always need small portions ;-)
I really hope, once the shocking realisation that this is the end of working life for real has worn off, that Steve can see it as the start of a new and happier chapter - for both of you.

Pavement special

On one of  yesterday's dog walks I stopped to talk to a South African lady. She has three small children and a small black dog. She aske...