Saturday 8 February 2020

Cooking today.

Cooking used to be a huge part of my life

Nothing fancy, just plain cooking. An evening meal cooked from scratch every day, home made bread, biscuits for lunch boxes. Cakes for bake sales,  coconut ice and apples dipped in chocolate and colourful sprinkles at summer fair's. Cheese straws for snacks. Everything cooked with an eye to the cost. I cooked for 8 to 10 people most days as I had lodgers, foreign students staying, my nephews when they needed somewhere to stay, my kids bought friends home sometimes just for a meal, some of them stayed for months.

I miss it sometimes, I still enjoy cooking but Steve prefers a takeaway or something from a tin or packet.

This week he has chosen his own food, lunch has been a Gingsters chicken slice or a packet soup. Evening meals have been ribs or flavoured chicken pieces, nary a vegetable to be seen.

I did cook steak and jacket potatoes one evening. I put the potatoes in to cook and Steve wanted to know why I wasn't cooking the steak at the same time. I know he likes his steak well done but that was ridiculous.

Today he was supposed to be going out but it has been postponed, I'd already made my plans, I made
lemon thumb biscuits, chicken and leek tray bake,
fish pie and roasted vegetables.

I enjoyed the cooking, some of the stuff will go in the freezer, some will go to DD for her freezer.

6 comments:

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

Sounds delicious Hester.

Margie from Toronto said...

Sounds very tasty! I too have had a day of cooking - roasted a turkey breast with veg, cooked some stuffing, prepared extra veg, made a pot of mushroom & barley soup, and now there is a huge apple crumble in the oven. But - I do try to have just one day a week like this. Some food goes to the freezer and there are other meals already cooked to take from the freezer if I want a variety so then with a couple of salads and an egg dish or two I am set for the week.
Hope that storm doesn't hit you too badly!

The Weaver of Grass said...

The storm has hit here as write this - as to cooking - when I had an Aga and lived on the farm I cooked every day - it was all so easy. Now that I live alone and have an electric cooker and a gas hob I use neither - either my Remoska or my slow cooker usually do the trick. Can't say I really miss cooking now.

Hard up Hester said...

Stay safe Weaver.

Chris said...

I still usually cook an evening meal but have cut back on baking bread and making pies or desserts. One thing at a time is all I feel inclined to do nowadays and that will last me several days. Yesterday I made a broccoli casserole to go with some leftover chicken and will have it again today with an Italian sausage.

Liz Hinds said...

All that food talk is making me hungry. Sounds lovely.

This weeks veg box.

  Another nice selection of fruit and veg for this week, I'll share it with Betty again.