Thursday 23 May 2019

I'll tell you what I want

What I really really want.

I want a cream tea with decaf tea and a mooch round a couple of charity shops. My DD's have promised to arrange something soon, well as soon as the measles have left the building.

I'm sorry if I made some of you cry, it is what it is and I think it is better to let people know what the hidden effects of a stroke can be. There is very little official information and I was certainly given to believe that Steve's behaviour was not connected with his stroke and would improve. Mind you I was also assured that there was lots of help available and there isn't. What help is available is hedged about be all sorts of criteria that we  don't fit. I have to say that the Stroke Association Club have been absolutely fantastic and someone there is always happy to listen to me whinging on.

If, by blogging I can make someone else feel less alone, make them understand that these are common symptoms affecting stroke survivor's, then I shall be happy.

Helen, we weren't in Newbury, so it wasn't our boat but Newbury is a lovely place.

Twiggymoon in some ways it would be good for Steve to return to work but he isn't well enough to do the job. He has a meeting with HR in June to discuss his exit strategy. He has another 4 months on half pay sick pay, I assume they'd like to stop paying it.
I can understand this but it wouldn't be fair.
There has been a suggestion from the medical team that he should look for a part time office job but it's not what he's used to and I cannot see anyone being keen to employ him at his age.

I'm sorry not to mention each of you by name but your comments and support are heart-warming and greatly appreciated. 

Today we moved to the marina, we are going away this weekend and we don't want to leave the boat unattended on the cut. Beano and I walked 5 miles in 74deg heat, but he was game and trotted beside me happily. We did it as 3 separate walks and he had access to fresh water regularly.

I cooked chilli this evening, I put some of the mince aside for Beano after it was browned and before I added any flavourings, he had this with some brown rice and some of his James Wellbeloved food. He is fast asleep on the sofa and has been for some time.

Just to end on a more normal, for me, note. Whilst I was opening one of the bridges, I was shouted at by an irate dog owner, it seems it was my fault that she needed to cross the bridge immediately as she couldn't control her dog. My dog was standing patiently beside me. I thought of many intelligent and articulate replies whilst she stood the other side of the canal ranting at me.
But I waited until I'd closed the bridge, she had crossed it and was eyeball to eyeball and replied with two words, the second one was OFF.

9 comments:

justjill said...

I think I love you. You so make me laugh. You are totally amazing. Onward and upward.

Joan (Devon) said...

That is the Sue I have come to know. Well said.

Twiggymoon said...

Aah bless your heart 😄. I totally get the work situation, my oh is only able to go in as it’s his business! Other wise the door would firmly be shut as you say. It’s so friggin wrong. The stroke starts what then turns out to be a humongous knock to confidence and possible effects to one/the side of the body. I think it’s especially soul destroying to men of a certain age who have worked hard all their lives. It’s so hard for them to accept. We found that little help is available really -especially considering the size of the problem. Huge hugs xx

Bettina Groh said...

I've been reading for awhile...commiserating with the ups and downs. You are amazing and I am sure I would not cope as well as you do. We don't whinge but do bitch - feel free to do either! Glad you told her to **** off!

Anonymous said...

Just a thought Hester, have you looked at the organisation Men's Sheds? I think the nearest to you is at Basingstoke. https://menssheds.org.uk/ Since Steve is a hands on sort of chap, it may give him an outlet. Regards. Janet.

cumbrian said...

Did the first word start with F ?

Mothernoah said...

Love and hugs to you x x
Both of my best friends had strokes about 2 years ago and I miss the people they were very much . We still meet and go out but it is not the same . Conversations are difficult and their sense of humour is not the same .

Anonymous said...

Amazing that some people feel that the world should serve all their whims. Just two words would have not been sufficient as I know lots of them..
As one reader wrote, “ onward and upward”. I never knew so much about personality changes after a stroke, thank you for bravely informing us.
Peace
Joyce

ShellyC said...

People change a lot if not completely following a stroke. I have looked after an awful lot of patients following strokes. The relatives are always apologizing, 'he/she isn't normally like this'. 'They are normally so nice/calm/placid/funny/lovable.
I've also experienced it on a personal level and it's all true.
Until you wear the shoes you don't know the walk.
help is available, but, it's well hidden and you almost have to beg for it.
Time doesn't always help, but you keep trying . . .

This weeks veg box.

  Another nice selection of fruit and veg for this week, I'll share it with Betty again.