Monday 20 May 2019

Is it or isn't it

The measles that is, one of my DGD's was recently diagnosed with the measles, I assumed she'd not been vaccinated though I found out later that she had.

DD rang to tell me and I was able to reassure her that she had been vaccinated as had her siblings. DD's husband has no idea if he was vaccinated and his parents don't know either so he was vaccinated as a precaution. 

About ten days after DGD was diagnosed DGS went down with the same illness. 

Today DD phoned to tell me she has the measles, according to the Dr about 3% of people who have been vaccinated will go on to catch the measles. I haven't been vaccinated, I had measles when I was a child. 

I now have a blocked nose, a sore throat and a temperature and have had for a few days. I'm keeping a very close eye out for a rash.

6 comments:

justjill said...

If they have been vaccinated and you have an immunity from having measles the symptoms should not be as bad as if unprotected which can be very dangerous. I cannot understand people not having their child vaccinated. Hope all goes well for you and yours.x

Beacee said...

Love and prayers for you both, and for your family x

Margie from Toronto said...

As someone else has commented, hopefully the symptoms won't be as bad since they were all vaccinated. I too cannot understand why someone would not get vaccinated when it is available. I think it should be mandatory. Those today who refuse have no idea of what it was like to hear a child struggle to breath with whooping cough - or have a child crippled for life because of polio or simply try to cope with a house full of children all down with measles or chicken pox!
I realize that a tiny fraction of children may experience an adverse reaction (and it is truly terrible for their parents) - but this can happen with all medications - but the lives that vaccines have saved must be in the tens of millions - there is just no comparison.
I hope that you are ok and that your husband feels a bit better tomorrow.

kate steeper said...

As a child i had measles and got over it fairly quickly my cousin who caught it off me was left deaf and has never let me forget it . My dads sister died of diptheria as a child , because they couldnt afford a doctor . Theres really no argument for not vaccinating

Hard up Hester said...

One twin had only a mild case, the other more severe. DD feels rough but is coping, she was vaccinated in 1982 her Dr confirmed this.

My oldest child was born prem in 1977, I was told that he could have all vaccinations apart from whooping cough which he should have at 3 years old. He caught whooping cough at 22 months!

Crowoak said...

My sister, aged 70, is just recovering from whooping cough. She had it as a child but her dr said immunity for whooping cough only lasts 6-8 years. Apparently there's a lot of it about in the west country. It's a horrible illness and the coughing fits are scary.
I hope the family recover soon, I remember having measles and it was not nice at all.
Love your little dog, he looks a proper character and he has landed on his feet being homed by you 🙂.
J xx

Pavement special

On one of  yesterday's dog walks I stopped to talk to a South African lady. She has three small children and a small black dog. She aske...