Saturday 8 January 2022

Food

 Lyssa I will try peppermint oil on the back of the boat.

Beano is very reluctant to let me near his feet, I may try a microfiber towel next.

I see a lot of bloggers are  posting about cutting back on their food bills.

Obviously not having a car has saved us some money but it also means I can't shop around and hunt for bargains but I still try to be careful.

Last weeks meal plan was as follows-:

Sunday, roast pork, I cut the joint in half, froze half and sliced the rest thinly. The half I didn't freeze served Sunday lunch with yorkies, stuffing and roast pots, parsnip, sprouts and peas. It also made sandwiches for lunch for 3 days. Cheese or egg sandwiches on the other days. I can't eat pork so I had the roast without it.

Monday, Lamb chops one tiny one each with a sausage, boiled spuds with carrots, sprouts and peas.

Tuesday, Fish pie with carrots and peas

Wednesday, Burgers inna bun with salad because the shopping was delivered and the buns were fresh. I don't eat burgers so I had salad in a bun.

Thursday, Beef casserole, I added lots of extras and froze half.

Friday, Chicken pieces. I went to DD2 for a cuppa so didn't eat these.

Saturday, Liver and onions with mash, sprouts and carrots. There will be enough for two meals so I will freeze half.

Sunday, I have a small turkey breast that I will cook for a roast dinner.

Very plain food but it's what Steve will eat.

I shall put a loaf on to prove tonight, I've been using up two part baked baguettes that Steve wouldn't eat because they were sourdough.

The next food delivery will be on Tuesday, I still have carrots, onions, cucumber, salad leaves and sprouts in the fridge.





4 comments:

Lyssa Medana said...

Sending all good vibes. You can only cook what people will eat. It's hard. Hugs. Good luck with the peppermint oil.

Chris said...

You do very well to provide such an interesting and varied menu. I'm afraid I am much less ambitious - it's usually chicken or fish or something eggy. Despite not buying much meat my grocery bill is getting ridiculous!

Sue said...

Yes, there are lots of people doing various pantry and no spend challenges this January, but one of the best ways to save money on food is to only buy what you know will be eaten, and you seem to have that one sussed.

Anonymous said...

I echo what others have said- your kitchen offerings sound amazing.
And you are so very honest about the reality of living on a narrow boat - it’s clearly great but not for everyone
Hope you are having a good Sunday
Siobhan

Wardrobe

We have a wardrobe in the bedroom that was left by the previous resident. It is perfectly sound but it smells of stinky feet. I've tried...