Wednesday 31 January 2024

Bull necked.

Despite not being a very big dog Beano is quite strong. When we first got him he had a canvas harness, he didn't like it but the rescue centre where we got him from said he wasn't suitable to wear a collar. 

This was because he is bull necked, his neck is as wide as his shoulders and it's only once you get past his ears that he starts to narrow. He has a small pointed face so any collar just slides forward and comes off.

I don't like choke collars so we stuck to the harness when we first got him. I then discovered the half check collars, and that's what he now wears. As Steve has discovered, Beano can quite easily discard his half check collar if he so chooses but he seldom attempts it when he is with me. I do also have the knack of holding his lead in such a way that tightens the collar of he tries to do a Houdini escape with me.

What made me think of this was, as I left the flat today I went to put him on the lead. It was only then that I realised that I hadn't put his collar on when I got up this morning. I knew he'd not return to the flat unwalked   so I  used the lead, which is flat, as a choke collar. Beano was unbothered by this and wandered around happily on an extended walk.

3 comments:

Elaine said...

Good boy, Beano!

Anonymous said...

we have collar and extending lead for our boy but he can slip the collar when he's a mind to, he doesn't like a harness & has escaped from them too and we don't like head/face collars either. I do carry a spare slip lead on our walks just in case anything breaks or in case we come across a lost dog.
I know extending leads are a big no no for many, but we don't use in crowds or on pavements as we only walk in the country/hillsides and we use the car to get there, so it's our ideal solution. Our boy walks with a happy bounce on the slip lead but we like to give him a sense of freedom so he can run a little on the extender. love Carrie x

flis said...

My lively terrier has harness and an attachment from his collar to the harness as the dogs home advised x

It's not a long boat!

I recently got a new book via kindle unlimited, it is a godsend to me as I read a lot of books. I can't hear well enough to listen to th...