Friday 20 December 2019

Beano

Despite growing up surrounded by dogs and dog sitting for various people, Beano is the first dog I have actually owned.  

My parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles all owned dogs. Both my daughter's own dogs. Between them there were many different breeds Dachshund's, Shis Tzu's, Jack Russell's, Springer Spaniel's and Staffies amongst others. Steve had  a couple of Weimaraners and prefers big dogs

When we decided to get a dog, mine was the final say on the type of dog we would get. Although Steve wanted a large breed I knew he no longer had the strength or energy to cope with one. I like large breeds especially Rottweilers but I flatly refused to get something that was going to fill the boat and drag me up and down the towpath. I was also advised not to choose too small a breed as they can be a trip hazard.

We have had Beano for seven months now and he is still coming out of himself gradually.

The first morning after he arrived I got up to find he'd crapped on the floor, he was sat in his bed shivering with fear. I cleaned up the mess all the time talking to him cheerfully and then I took him out.

The first few days when he needed the toilet he'd go to the door and whine. This was ok during the day but not much good when I'm asleep in bed. He only had one nighttime widdle and now if he needs to go out and I'm asleep he stands on my chest so we've had no more accidents. He rarely needs to go out overnight now anyway. I take him out at 10ish just before I go to bed and I'm awake from 5 or 6 to take him out again.

We bought Beano some toys when we got him but he didn't want to play, he would occasionally run after a ball but wouldn't pick it up, he'd just wander off once he reached it. 

When he did play with some of the other toys, he'd immediately stop if he realised we were watching.
A few days ago he played for half an hour with a squeaky toy, everyday since then he has played for ages in the evenings, it is wonderful to see.

Beano also now plays with other dogs, to start with he would freeze when they tried to play with him. Then he started to play very tentatively with some of the small dogs we met on our walks. Last week he played enthusiastically with my daughter's large dog. When we are out for a walk and he sees one of his 'friends' he runs towards them happily looking for a game.

Beano is quick to learn a change in routine, it only takes a couple of days for him to learn.

Beano still hates the rain and will only run to the end of the jetty, widdle and run straight back onto the boat. I bought him a waterproof coat to see if he'd be happier walking in the rain.

Beano's favourite place is still on my knee and he prefers crochet to knitting as he gets prodded less when I'm doing crochet.

Beano has a lot more energy now, he would always walk with me from lock to lock when we were traveling but was knackered at the end of a long walk. Now he is still raring to go at the end of a walk.

Beano sleeps on the bed between us, he takes up far more room than a dog his size should do. We have an extra throw on top of the bed as Beano likes to sleep under the covers. I refuse to have him in the bed.

Beano is still good with the grandchildren but barks and gets agitated if he thinks they are fighting. He happily let's people make a fuss of him. When he first arrived he rushed up to everyone, I think he was looking for his previous owner. Then he became quite standoffish, ignoring people who wanted to stroke him, though never unfriendly. He now wags his tail happily and will go to anyone for a stroke.

10 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...

How good to hear that he has settled in so well and his personality is coming through

jan b said...

Lovely to hear about Beano. I have rescue dogs and it is a pleasure to watch them blossom. I appreciate life isn't easy for you but love reading your blog warts and all. Merry Christmas, Janxx

Anonymous said...

How lovely to hear, and how nice for you to have a little friend. We have a rescue terrier too and it took about 9 months for him to settle in completely. We 've had him 10 years now (he was about 50 and he still goes up to older men wearing flat caps to peer at them, so we think that's what his last owner wore. Hope you have a happy Christmas; I know things are tough and I admire the way you carry on. Cathy

Mo Finn said...

I am so happy that lovely Beano has such a good home with you but sad at what might have happened to him before he came to you xx

JanF said...

What a delightful post! All good news. Having Beano sounds like a win win for you all.

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

Dogs bring so much joy. Beano has settled in lovely and adapted to beat life. Enjoy your time together.

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

Boat life!

flis said...

Your Beano looks a lovely boy.I love reading about him.I have only had rescue dogs-9 so far.I have 4 at the moment,the most recent 4 weeks ago,he's from abroad but settled well considering all he's been through.If I could afford it I would get another but the vets bills are a worry x

Beacee said...

You've done a lovely job of settling and encouraging him. Well done! x

kelley said...

I thank you for giving Beano such a good life!

Beano goes to the vet.

My neighbour Harry very kindly gave Beano and I a lift to the vets  this morning. Beano's dew claws were very overgrown. Time was I'...