Thursday 29 May 2014

One down, two to go, with instructions & costs

I haven't used a pattern to make the dresses for my DGD's, I have a size chart that I googled & printed and I'm working from that.
I haven't seen the film but the images I've found show lots of different dresses, so I've gone for a sun dress style with the cape attached at the back, I'm hoping the pretty colour with a sparkly cape will fit the bill for the DGD's
I've made the dresses with ribbon ties at the back to save the expense & stress of trying to sew a zip into this nightmare fabric.
The dress is made entirely from rectangles:-
A large rectangle for the skirt, at least twice or three times the hip measurement maybe more, depending on the fabric used, mine is quite stiff, but if using a finer, more flowing fabric you could use more.
A rectangle for the bodice, the chest measurement plus seam allowance plus ease.
Two rectangles for the shoulder straps.
A rectangle for the cape, this is gathered & attached to the back of the bodice along the shoulder straps.

The fabric cost £25 for 4 mts of the blue &  3 mts of the sparkly. I've made one dress age 9, one age 6 & one age 4. I have enough fabric left to make another dress age 6 & I've only used about half the sparkly fabric.

4 comments:

Angela said...

Brilliant! My earlier disney frock had buttons and loops - but last week's had squares of velcro[which is what they use in the disney shop!]Zips take too much time and money AND the princess's flowing golden tresses get stuck!!

I love your creations - blessings x

Linda said...

Lucky granddaughter's, I bet they will be thrilled with their beautiful dresses. Linda xx

jill said...

Lovely! The sundress is a good choice and the cape fabric works so well I can see the little ones floating all about!
They will be entranced...

Carol said...

The dress looks very pretty and a good idea with the ties.
Carolx

Feeling stressed.

I'm worried about Beano, his nose is warm and dry and he hasn't wanted to go out for his usual walks today. My face is sore it feels...