It was a very long day today, with many difficult conversations and many tears shed.
The doctor was careful to include everyone in her discussions despite BIL's bluster and demands for the rest of us to be excluded.
MIL was better today than she was yesterday, despite thinking she was in Scotland a few times.
We sat a chatted to her until she got her bearings and the doctor decided that she was lucid enough to make her own decisions.
Her kidneys have failed and yesterday when she was dropped again by the staff her drainage tubes were pulled out.
The doctor explained the options a few times & I held her hand and checked that she understood the implications.
MIL was given the choice, she can have the drainage tubes back in and wait for the cancer to kill her in a few weeks, or leave the tubes out and kidney failure will kill her in a few days.
She chose not to have the tubes replaced, so she will be allowed to die pain free and with dignity within the next few days.
She will be moved to the local hospice if a bed becomes free in time but that may not materialise.
We stopped for a meal on the way home, when we arrived home we had a cup of tea, listened to music and held each other for a while.
Hubby is at work tomorrow, we will visit MIL on Friday and at the weekend.