Thursday 26 April 2018

Been busy

Our boat is listing as we have a deep draught and the canal is shallow, especially near the bank. We are wedged on a small bank of gravel, hence the list.

DD1 needed a lift to A&E this morning, nothing broken fortunately, just sprained, painful but manageable. She's been advised to rest, fat chance with 5 kids and a dog.

I dropped DD home, collected CHS and took him to work, then back to the boat for a shower. Last night CHS was cold and I hadn't lit the fire, this morning CHS lit a FIRE, 6 firelighters, half a bag of kindling, half a bucket of coal and a couple of logs thrown on for good measure. It's a man thing I think, he cannot build a small fire. The boat is like a sauna.

There was a boat moored behind us earlier, a hire boat just setting off for a weeks travel. The man was hitting the tiller with a hammer, I asked if everything thing was ok and he told me the tiller was broken.
I explained that the tiller was ok, it was the same as mine. He informed me that my tiller was broken too! It isn't, but he had a hammer and a willy so obviously he knew more than me, I left him to it.

Then on to DD2's, parents evening, could I babysit might as well as CHS won't finish until 9:30.

Tomorrow I'm off to Bicester to collect a 90th birthday cake for my ex mil, DD1 ordered it but cannot drive so cannot collect it.

7 comments:

justjill said...

Oh dear. Did he manage to get off and disappear? Hope so. Family ey? I know the feeling. Glad she is ok.

Janice said...

When I read 6 firefighters I thought the entire bought had gone up in flames!!!lol Hope DD recovers quickly, it would be very difficult with the children and a dog when you're not too mobile. Isn't that typical man behaviour! I wonder what the rental people will have to say when they see a bashed tiller!

Chris West said...

I just scared the cats laughing much at your description of the tiller basher x

Rambler said...

I thought he was taking precautions when I read about the 6 firefighters - then realised what you meant! Typical bloke! Never let him do a barbeque anywhere near the boat.

Chris said...

You have such an interesting life, Hester. Never a dull moment!

ALT58 said...

How have you found living aboard during the winter? Do you have central heating or just the log burner.

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

It sounds like it's been a hectic few days for you. Glad it was nothing serious.

Pavement special

On one of  yesterday's dog walks I stopped to talk to a South African lady. She has three small children and a small black dog. She aske...