Sunday 31 March 2024

Why would you do that?

 I once worked in a small office that had a strange promotion system.

The "office manager" was the longest serving staff member, it seemed to me to be a very strange system and it eventually fell apart when two people who started on the same day couldn't both be promoted.

This meant that an office manager was recruited externally, that's when the brown stuff really hit the fan.

The new manager started and soon after found a discrepancy in the paperwork.

It seems someone had lied on their C.V. about their qualifications.

The new manager interviewed all the staff in turn and had asked for proof of their qualifications.

We are talking about GCSE's here, not anything more technical

When she got to me and asked I told her that I had no GCSE's and as they hadn't been a prerequisite of employment, she accepted this but seemed confused.

Over the next few days I discovered that all ten members of staff had claimed O or A levels they either hadn't taken or hadn't passed.

As the staff were all in their 40's and qualifications were not required, I really couldn't understand why they would lie.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Something similar happened in an office that I worked in back in the 70s. An external Office Manager was brought in full of new ideas and rigid staffing policies, then six months later it was found out that he had somehow started embezzling money from day one. He was fired and someone internally was promoted. The office was never the same again though.

Heather said...

Strange to lie about something like that. I left school and went to work in one of the High Street Banks. When towns had several!!! I had various O'levels but not maths. Later I went to work in the next town. The young manager there for the sack, he was married but used to go out for regular 'appointments' with a married customer!
I thought about you today, we drove to Bradford on Avon and walked along the tow path and watched various canal boats go through the lock there. It was a dry day for a change.

Best off in my pocket.

I received an email from my solicitor saying they owed us £200. Money retained from when we purchased our flat. I've had it paid into my...