Sunday 28 February 2021

Television

 I've never watched much TV, we didn't have a TV during a lot of my childhood. When I lived in flats and bedsits I couldn't afford one. We have a TV on the boat but no aerial so I don't watch live TV now. I occasionally watch old tv series on iPlayer or on Prime.

At school I once had to serve a detention, it was nearing Christmas and we were decorating our classroom. A TV programme was chosen as the theme. I couldn't help as I'd never seen the programme. This was assumed to be dumb insolence as everyone had a TV!

In later years my mother became an avid TV watcher, especially the soaps. This caused some rather confusing conversations, for example. 

Mum: Phyllis has had her shoulder surgery and she'll be out of hospital on Saturday. (Phyllis is my cousin)

Me: That's good, I hope it works this time. How's Diane? (Another cousin)

Mum: She's very excited, she's going to be a grandma.

Me: Ooh lovely.

Mum: Raquel and Curly have split up though and that's sad.

Me: Who the feck are Raquel and Curly? (Wracking my brains to work out who these people are.

Mum: You know, on Coronation Street!

I've never watched the soaps even when I have had a TV so no wonder I was confused.


I recently watched Whatever Happened to Tony Slattery, it was interesting and very sad, mental health problems are a real bastard to live with. I also watched Blitz Spirit with Lucy Worsley.




No comments:

Wardrobe

We have a wardrobe in the bedroom that was left by the previous resident. It is perfectly sound but it smells of stinky feet. I've tried...