Saturday, 22 April 2017

Barging through

So what's the difference?

A work colleague calls my boat a longboat, but that would mean it is a Viking war ship like this.
Other people refer to it as a barge, but to be a barge it would have to be 10ft wide.
Just to confuse the issue completely there are a lot of 10ft wide boat on the canals and they are called widebeams, there was one stuck at one of the locks we had to negotiate on our journey home.
The correct name is narrowboat but I'm not pedantic about it, you can call it whatever you like.

Once she has had the water tank and fuel tank filled she tends to wallow a bit and doesn't handle particularly well.
At these times Captain Hot Stuff tends to call her 'This Fecking Boat' as he struggles to steer her round corners!


markdebby said...

Loved your adventure on your narrow boat. When will it be totally be full time use.

Hard up Hester said...

Within the next few weeks we will be permanently onboard.

galant said...

Thank goodness some of know the difference, Hester, between a narrowboat and a barge (and even a longboat, ha ha!) I just call it "boaty"!
Margaret P

Winters End Rambler said...

Couldn't you just call her Home? x


We've moved the boat today and filled the water tank. This entailed going through a lock and a swing bridge, winding,( turning round) an...