Saturday 8 March 2014

Meatloaf/meatball recipe

This is a cheap and versatile recipe, it's tasty too.

You will need
2 x 454 gm packs of sausages £1.39 ea
1 x 900 gm pack Mince £3
1 x pack stuffing mix 15p
1 egg beaten 10p
Seasoning, pepper, tomato puree, dried chillis.

Make up the stuffing according to the instructions on the packet.

In a large bowl mix together the mince, skinned sausages, made up stuffing mix, pepper and beaten egg. I find it easiest to use my hands to mix everything thoroughly together. At this point I divide the mixture into two, I add a generous squirt of tomato ketchup or puree to one half of the mixture. I pack this mixture into two one pound loaf tins, cover with foil and cook for 40 mins to 1 hour. To the other half I add dried chillis & then form into meatballs, I cook these on a baking tray for about 15 mins.
I serve the meatloaf sliced with mashed potatoes, carrots, cabbage & gravy. I serve the meatballs in a tomato sauce with pasta or in a curry sauce with rice.
You can use many different seasonings to flavour this recipe, I use chillis because we grow them & dry them when we have a glut.
Depending on the size of your appetite this recipe provides quite a few servings.

I can buy tubes of sausage meat from my butchers, but I have costed this recipe using sausages, you will need to skin these, but it is easy to do.
If I don't have a packed of stuffing mix I use porridge oats or breadcrumbs & add grated onion & some water if the mix seems too dry.

2 x 454 gm pack sausages  £2.78 
1 x 900 gm mince £3 
1 x pack stuffing mix 15p 
1 x egg 10p
Seasoning 10p

No comments:

Wednesday

My Oddbox arrived this morning and I've shared it with Betty, in it there were potatoes, onions, spinach, aubergine, a huge cauliflower ...