I've known for a long time that I have an addictive personality.
My mother was a heavy smoker and embarrassing when drunk, this was enough to put me off cigarettes and although I do drink alcohol it's usually on Mother's day and my birthday and I only ever have one drink.
The one thing that I can never refuse is a good book, or even an indifferent book. By the time I was at secondary school I was reading The Carpetbaggers by Harold Robbins, I was put in detention for that and carried on reading the book whilst serving the detention.
I was once told proudly by a young relative of Steve's that he'd never read a book, I gave him a book about Valentino Rossi the racing driver who he admired and he read the book!
All four of my children read for pleasure, some more avidly than others.
I read constantly throughout the day, every time I finish a chore I pick up my kindle and read. I can no longer see well enough to read books so thank goodness for the kindle. I have mine set to a very large print and can race through a book in a day or two.
I will read almost anything though I don't enjoy Mills and Boon romance books. I always used to finish a book however little I was enjoying it but I no longer do that. I've decided I don't have enough years left to waste time on a book I don't enjoy.
I usually read two books at a time, I started doing this when I lived in a house, I'd have a book upstairs and one downstairs. I now live in a bungalow and I flit between various books on my kindle. I recently bought three books as a birthday gift for my daughter, Women and Power by Mary Beard, Invisible Women by Caroline Crisco Perez and Why I'm no longer Talking by Reno Edda -Lodge. Of course I had to download all of these to my kindle.
8 comments:
I could read when I was 4 and have been using public libraries for 79 years.
I'm glad I'm not the only book addict. At the moment I am re- reading Lamentation by C.J. Sansom as I've not been able to get to the library to return books and choose more. I have quite a big collection of actual books (novels mainly) that I have kept over years as I want to read them again, like now but I also have a kindle and a tablet also with lots of books on some not even read yet.
About five years ago a younger friend of mine helped me get a new book down from the clouds onto my kindle as I was going on holiday which she did then said can I take the kindle home and bring it back later this afternoon when she returned it she had transfered 85 books needless to say I am still working my way through them, we have similar tastes as we used to swap books when she lived next door to me.
Sorry my story was so long but hope you enjoyed hearing it. From Shirley in OZ
A book is the best companion ever.
Like you I read The Carpetbaggers while I was at secondary school, and ALL of Harold Robbins' books by the time I left. We didn't have a lot of money for books but Dad had all the Harold Robbins and Dennis Wheatley books on his bookcase, so I would borrow them one at a time and devour them. One of my sons own hundreds of books, he found out just how many when he came to move a couple of weeks ago, my other son owns one book.
Very interesting Shirley, I've read the C J Sansom book, they are good.
I've always been a reader and mysteries are still my favorite.
I am firmly in your camp as a mad reader, as a child my mother would tell people ‘if she hasn’t got a book then she will read jam pot labels or a bus timetable’ my sister and I still laugh at this even now. Jan
Invisible Women made me so cross, you'll see why when you read it. I gave copies to friends and daughter - in -law and kept reading bits out to my husband who for all his faults has always taken on responsibility for work at home and does not have a misogynist bone in his body.
Post a Comment