Sunday 10 April 2016

The Royal Oak


We moored up outside the Canal Shop at Saisons boat hire for the night, the owner was just closing up and she was happy for us to stay there as long as we were gone by 10 the next morning.
There is a pub there called the Royal Oak, we went in for a drink and a snack, the place was chaotic, I know it was busy but no one seemed to know what they were doing, it took 40 minutes to order food and drink.
I was very unwell overnight, I must have eaten something that disagreed with me, I spent most of the night huddled on the bench.
The double bed had a wardrobe across the bottom, this meant that whoever was sleeping on the inside was trapped and if they needed to get up in the night they had to climb over the other person. After the first night we realised that neither of us could bear to sleep on the inside so from then on I slept in the dinette on the bench. Unfortunately as we'd only booked the boat for the 2 of us there was no extra bedding, so I spent the week sleeping, fully clothed, under an assortment of towels and jackets, not ideal as the temperature overnight dropped to 3 degrees, so it was a bit chilly.
The boat did have central heating but no thermostat so it just got hotter and hotter.
We set off just after 8 o'clock and by midday I felt a lot better.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Oh dear, I thought you would be enjoying some peace and tranquility; sipping G&T's on the poop deck and all that. Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better now - and just think how lovely it will be to get back to your own bed. Sorry, that is a bit Pollyanna'ish, but you know what I mean.

Mim said...

Hope you are feeling better now.

Was that the Hungry Horse? We have used it a few times when my MIL lived in Hillmorton. Agree it is very chaotic but we survived.

Wardrobe

We have a wardrobe in the bedroom that was left by the previous resident. It is perfectly sound but it smells of stinky feet. I've tried...