Wednesday 30 August 2017

Spot the difference

I thought I'd write a post about the difference between cleaning a house and cleaning a boat.

You may think that there would be no difference apart from size but in fact there are quite a few differences.

For one thing there is no hot water and unless I want to go through all the palaver of finding the stopcock there is no running water. I manage with buckets of cold water, changed frequently. I usually take my own bucket having recently come unstuck using the boat owners bucket only to find it had a hole in it!

I take my own cleaning caddy with me too, most people keep enough equipment on board but there is nothing worse than trying to clean anything with one grubby jiffy cloth  and the last dribble of cleaner in the bottle.
I use microfiber clothes, I have a couple of dozen and I sling them in the washing machine when I get home. I have bicarb, white vinegar and Astonish in my caddy too along with a paint brush and toothbrush to get into all the crevices. Best of all is my extending microfiber duster, great for removing cobwebs and mine fits up into the mushroom vents.

There is also unlikely to be any electric, so no running the vacuum over the carpets. It's hands and knees with a stiff brush to get the carpets clean. I take my own stiff brush and finish off with a damp microfiber cloth.



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

No runnung water and no electricity! It sounds like you've gone back 100 years or more. Sounds like you have it all in hand though.

Joan (Devon)

galant said...

Apart from the use of microfibre cloths, this sounds like cleaning pre-industrialisation, hands and knees and elbow grease! But I'll bet the place is sparkling when you've finished! And very good exercise, too!
Margaret P

Hard up Hester said...

Fortunately Joan I'm old enough to remember when this was how cleaning was done in the 50's so at least I'm not floundering around wondering what to do.

I'm hoping the exercise will equate to weight loss Margaret, who am I kidding, lol.

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

I only use microfibre cloths as they wring out so well and dont leave smears. Don't fancy cold water though!

50 and counting said...

What is a mushroom ailment?

I have visions of a mushroom farm on boats!

Hard up Hester said...

50, I've edited it now, bloody predictive text.

Mair Dyer said...

Sounds very hard work, what about a rechargeable Hoover, we have a Bosch Athlet and it is very good.

kelley said...

you are really working hard to earn that money! I'll stop my grumbling to myself when cleaning at home from now on...

Anonymous said...

Hi Hester I second the rechargeable idea. I have a rechargeable / electric carpet sweeper and it is so light i can carry it with my little finger around the house if need be. Was brought it as a Christmas gift as I am currently disabled and so lifting a hoover is out. It cost only 28 pound something including delivery from Amazon and O love it. Lasts for about 75 minutes too. Would make your life so much easier i would bet. Works a treat on cat biscuits and cat hair!

Sally

Sue said...

Gosh that all sounds like hard work. I third the idea of a rechargeable vacuum cleaner. It would be a worthwhile investment and be tax deductible if you are running this as a proper business.

Hard up Hester said...

I'd love a rechargeable vacuum but unfortunately there isn't room, I had a small rechargeable one when we lived in a house but try as I might I couldn't find room for it on the boat so it went to my daughter.

This weeks veg box.

  Another nice selection of fruit and veg for this week, I'll share it with Betty again.