Saturday, 1 August 2026

Backing away slowly.

I'm backing away slowly from some people who are getting on my tits.

This includes some of the people I know and some of the bloggers I usually follow regularly.

I won a competition at one of the the social clubs I attend, I know this was partly political as one member expects to win every week and people don't want to tackle her. So my entry won as I had provided the most items beginning with a certain letter. There was no prize, just a round of applause and a seething competitor who didn't win.

I'm also avoiding someone who I've realised is living in an alternative universe. I seem currently to be their favourite target for conversation. If I can't avoid them I do at least now know they be talking mainly ballrocks. I'm fortunate that I have a pretty good poker face, albeit slightly vacant. There is one lady I see in the village who seems to realise I'm not as stupid as I appear but she not dobbed me in so far.

I've stopped reading a couple of blogs as the bloggers are ranting on about politics and I'm not interested. I don't enjoy being ranted at about politics or religion. I have my own opinions on both but I don't expect other people to share my feelings.I stick to the 'you do you, I'll do me' way and so far it's worked.


9 comments:

Sue said...

I give people a fair chance, but I have no problem with backing away from anyone who gets me down on a regular basis. As you say fellow bloggers, people in real life, or occasionally even family members. Once you're gone, you're gone as far as I am concerned. I've knocked quite a few usually regularly read blogs off my sidebar over the past year or so. I don't mind different points of view but I will not be lectured at, or repeatedly depressed by reading some things on a regular basis ... or just simply bored to death by repetition. I've no doubt my posts depress some people too!! ;-)

Sooze said...

Good advice to yourself! I don't suffer fools gladly nowadays, so either avoid them or cut any interaction short.

Gina said...

I don't know how I found this post, but I love your expressions and I found myself nodding along in agreement. I cannot stand the whole political rant on blogs that have another theme entirely. Makes me feel like I got fished in.

Nelliegrace said...

Well said! We don’t need the stress about issues we cannot alter, and don’t want their stress dumped on us.
DH has spent 46 years pointing out the faulty lights on other driver’s cars, as if I care, or can do anything about it. I have stopped listening.

Meanqueen said...

We still have freedom of choice about who we fraternise with, both face to face and online. It makes sense to avoid those who do not reciprocate our friendship. Pussyfooting around those who might be offended by our forthright approach can lead to resentment on both sides. Best to walk away. Time to give up on a friendship if it is going nowhere.

June said...

As I have aged I have less patience. So my rule is …if you do not lift my spirits and feed my soul, goodbye. I don’t want to be lectured to, moaned at, bought low. Harsh, but why do I want the time I have left wasted. Life really is so very short.You have put up with enough of that in the past, enjoy life. Very best wishes. June

Anonymous said...

Good for you, protect your peace, it's been hard won. I do similar, I stopped reading the cess Pitt of twitter it's such an angry space, I only glance at the news headlines unless I spot anything relevant to my living situation & I don't force myself to socialise . It's made such a difference to my mood. I read something a long time ago that said, "some people are radiators and others are drains" It rings so true & it always makes me smile when I think of it .

Catriona said...

It has taken me to be in my 70s to realise that some people are not worthy of my friendship. I like your phrase “ you do you, I’ll do me”- I’m going to keep that in mind the next time someone annoys me! Catriona

Heather said...

Your first comment made me smile as I have not heard that for years and I totally agree with the second. After many years my husband and I have decided not to play the sociable game with certain people in the family. Too much effort, too much hassle. I too only read the blogs that interest me, deffo no politics!!

Farm2ewe.

I saw a 4x4 with a trailer today, it had a sign on it Farm2ewe, they take farm animals to visit schools.  This reminded me of when we had th...