Tuesday, 1 September 2026

Giving a talk.

I was asked last Wednesday if I would give a talk today about living on a narrow boat. It's not something I'm very good at but it was only was only a small group of about 15 people so not too scary.

Everyone seemed interested, the two people who I thought might be awkward weren't there which was a relief and there were lots of questions afterwards.

I can't see me making a career as an after dinner speaker but I'm relieved it wasn't a complete failure.

I told people about the canals we'd travelled on, about some of the people we'd met during our time on the canals and told a couple of funny stories about things that had happened.

15 comments:

Corinne said...

Oh well done! I'm sure your talk was very interesting.

Chris said...

I bet you will be in high demand once word gets around. I would love to have attended your talk!

Damselfly said...

Brava!!! 👏👏😊

Sue in Suffolk said...

Oh well done.
If you get on to the WI list of speakers you will be very busy - and get paid!

June said...

Well done you! I think it must have been a great talk, very interesting. Good to push ourselves. June

Heather said...

Well done you. I expect your talk was interesting and something different.

Meanqueen said...

Sounds good. I would have come if I was nearer. Let's hope you get more requests. People tell me they remember my trucking talk from years ago.

Chris said...

I read your blog when you were on your narrow boat and there were some really funny, for us reading, but for you wet and uncomfortable times, I'm sure your talk was great, I'd have loved to have been there!

Angela said...

Well done!👍 I'm sure your talk was great, it sounds like it was well received. 😊

Anonymous said...

Oh well done you, it's hard doing public speaking. I worked for many years as a teacher in an FE college, no trouble talking to a group of students at all. But, whe I was asked to do a short talk at our local craft group, I was a mess, before and after. Carole R.

Ellen D. said...

Good for you! Sounds great!

Sue said...

I bet your talk was really fascinating for everyone, and I bet there were a lot of questions. People seem fascinated by narrow boats living these days.

RunNRose said...

I remember many episodes of your life on the narrow boat. One where a startled dog landed you in the river! I enjoyed following your day to day experiences; for sure your audience had a treat listening to you tell about them.

Tracy said...

Well done! I would have liked to have been there.

Sooze said...

Well done, you're braver than me.

A match made in heaven

I went for a drink with my daughter and my youngest son he's recently bought his first house, he mentioned that his dad had sent him a l...