Our flat is bought not rented.
We both have only our state pension Steve's is less than mine because of years worked, and we have some savings.
If Steve goes he will want the savings to enable him to move elsewhere. Possibly to buy a boat, but I've no real idea.
I am booking appointments with various agencies to find out what I'm entitled to. I expect Steve will want me to sell up so he has money to live on. These places don't sell quickly so he will have a long wait. Unless one of my children would buy him out but I'd rather they didn't.