Friday, 14 August 2026

Politics

I always drummed into my four children the importance of voting, especially my two daughters. I told them that women had died, fighting to get voting rights for women.

As far as I'm aware they all still vote, though I have no idea who they vote for. To me, that's not important, showing up is. The last time I mentioned them voting they replied. We wouldn't dare not vote, we know how important it is to you.

When I met Steve he'd never voted, but complained endlessly about various political parties. Eventually he got tired of me shutting him down every time he complained and started to vote regularly. At one point I heard him telling a friend, who was complaining about something political, the same thing. Saying "if you don't vote, you don't have an opinion"

5 comments:

Ellen D. said...

Very true. Voting is so important.

Sue said...

Voting is very important, especially for women.

Jane said...

I totally agree. Voting is essential and if you can't be bothered then don't dare moan about anything to do with politics. For certain we don't always get who we would personally choose, but the right to vote was a hard fought battle that should never be forgotten.
It's the same with schooling. When you read the desperate lengths that girls are having to go to in Afghanistan to try and continue their education, it makes me ashamed of the kids in this country who have free access for many years but can't be bothered.

Denise said...

Here voting is compulsory, and we have a preferential voting system. Tends to lead to pretty stable government, thank goodness.
We were also the first country in the world to bring in universal sufferage, (apart from, shamefully, our Indigenous people) and South Australia was the first in the world to give women downright to vote, in 1895.

Corinne said...

When our daughters saw Mary Poppins as young girls, Mrs Banks made such an impression on them, they now make a point of saying they vote because of her!

Giving a talk.

I was asked last Wednesday if I would give a talk today about living on a narrow boat. It's not something I'm very good at but it wa...