Wednesday 19 August 2020

Bridge hopping

 I don't think many people could fit a smart car on their boat, some people do have bikes but I can't ride a bike so that would be no good to me.

Most of us who have a car and a boat, bridge hop. We leave our cars near a convenient bridge or in a pub car park. We move our boats and then return to collect our car.

I left my car on DD's drive whilst we travelled along the Thames, once we returned to the Kennet and Avon we collected the car and parked it in the car park of a nearby pub.

The first part of our journey was six miles so DD2 collected me and drove me back to the car. Yesterday we only travelled a couple of miles so I will walk back and collect the car and move it to our new mooring place. I am hoping it will stop raining soon as I have no wish to walk two miles in the rain with Beano as he hates getting wet. Both dogs slept for hours yesterday after their walk.

I must admit I get a bit fed up with people thinking I sit on the front of the boat with a G&T trailing my fingers in the water. Yesterday it took us four hours to travel two miles, We went through two locks, one of which was faulty and has been for four years and two swing bridges, one of which was also faulty. I was having trouble with my windlass on one lock as it's too long. Another boater came along to mansplain to me what I was doing wrong. I let him show me what I should be doing and then sniggered when he smacked his knuckles on the lock gate and realised that I wasn't being stupid.

4 comments:

Sue said...

I do love it when a clever clogs thinks they know better ... and are immediately proven wrong!! There are some twollops in this world.

flis said...

I know someone who Always knows Everything and when he looks so distressed after it becomes unavoidable to be dismissed as Anything other than His mistake-"Oh no,Oh dear-tut tut"I console("I did say") x

Marjorie said...

I am glad the lock gate showed him you knew what you were doing.

Margie from Toronto said...

I am still chuckling at the "Know it all Mansplaining" - Karma's a bitch!

Walking with a list on.

Y'day I had to take my stick to lean on when I went out, today I don't need my stick but I can't walk in a straight line. Nemmin...