Wednesday 25 July 2018

Skint colleague

It dawned on CHS's skint colleague yesterday that there will be no overtime for the next six weeks.
This means he cannot meet his financial commitments!
Neither CHS or the other caretaker want to do overtime so the skint colleague gets to do the bulk of it, he is now in a panic.
CHS is trying to think of ways to help him out, I suggested hiring  hit man to dispose of the colleagues wife but CHS doesn't think this is feasible.
I also suggested they could do without Sky, the latest smart phone and eleventy billion handbags, but it seems these are essential to life, so too is the new airfryer at £160.
Funnily enough I'm still alive despite not having Sky or an airfryer. I do have a phone, it may be smart but I'm not and I have but one handbag, a small black clutchbagfor posh nights out, the rest of the time I use a backpack.

10 comments:

Athene said...

So, not only spendthrift, but dim - surely he could have foreseen the 'no overtime' situation?

Hard up Hester said...

Well you'd think so Athene but then Christmas catches him by surprise every year!!

Col said...

I will happily admit to being a shoe, handbag and perfume tart, and although I tend to get them using my credit card, that's purely for the insurance, and the bill is paid off in full every month, so I never pay any interest!
I have a John Lewis credit card, and use it a lot, which gets me John Lewis vouchers, so it's well worth having, but there's no way I'd ever spend money that I don't have!
Some people just have such a sense of entitlement, "I want it, so I'm having it, whether I can afford it or not". Do they honestly not realise that all these things have to be paid for eventually?

Jeannieuk said...

Oh dear. This is going to end in tears. Do you think they will pull together and get through this? At some point they both have to grow up. The question is - when?

justjill said...

Oh woe.

cumbrian said...

Funny enough, I've also managed to survive for the last 60-odd years without a smart phone or sky sports, and for the last 12 years without a credit card.

Retire-reduce-relax said...

Hi Hester, have had a very similar conversation about step daughter this afternoon. Apparently cigarettes, nights out with the girls/lads including taxi's, sky tv, nights at the boxing, take aways and meals out are non negotiable despite not being able to put diesel in their car!
Unbelievable x

Joan (Devon) said...

They're both a pair of ostriches with their heads continually in the sand. They don't want to help themselves, so just let them get on with it. I would. All you can give is advice, if they don't want to take it then they have to suffer the consequences. Are there any children involved?

Anonymous said...

My brother-in-law's wife was a spending machine. Fine, when you are first together and head-over-heels in love, but not when kids come along and you have bills to pay. As soon as he wised up and put his foot down she was straight out the door. It is really sad and could have been fixed so easily with just a little bit of teamwork and a lot less sense of entitlement.

Hard up Hester said...

I think she'll throw him out once she's bled him dry.

There is an 18 year old,stepson.

It's been rough.

We've had a few difficult days. The weather has been nice and sunny though not particularly warm. I'm not sure what triggered Steve ...