Tuesday 10 July 2018

Moving about a lot.

I've always moved about a lot, my mother could never settle so we moved a fair bit as a family.
I was born in Sleaford in Lincolnshire I lived in Ruskington for a year, then moved to Sleaford and lived there until I was eight.

From there we moved to Mitcham then to Colliers Wood then to South Wimbledon, Southfields and then to Merton.

My parents split up and I moved to Bracknell to live with my grandparents until I was 16.

I then moved into a bedsit just down the road from Wandsworth nick.

By now my mother had moved to Bristol and wanted me to live with her again so I moved to Cotham in Bristol then to St Andrews and then on to Patchway when I married.

After a year of marriage my husband applied for and got a job in Slough so we moved to Burnham.

He changed jobs after a few years and we moved to Finchampstead. Once my business took off we moved to a bigger house in Finchampstead.

I left my husband one week after our last child left home and moved into a  rented flat in Wokingham, after 6 months two of my children wanted to move in with me so I moved to a rented three bed house also in Wokingham.

Once my divorce was finalised I bought a house, Wokingham was out of my price range so I moved to Reading.

Now I'm living on my boat and with no home mooring we are classed as constant cruisers this means the longest we can stay anywhere is two weeks, sometimes we can only stay for 24/48 hours.


7 comments:

Dc said...

That is a lot of moving and I thought we moved a lot!

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

How is this recognised by government agencies. As I've been led to believe that they you need a fixed abode? We have had 6 homes since we married almost 40 years ago. But we were very stable when the children were at school.

justjill said...

We have moved a fair bit. Yorkshire to the Midlands various houses in both areas. Now up here in NE Scotland, second house here and no intention of moving. I used to love moving, a new start, but not now.

Col said...

I've only lived in four different houses in my sixty years!
Rented house until I was nine, parents then bought a cottage where we stayed for 2 years before they bought a big detached house further up the same road as the cottage was on, where we stayed for 16 years (me) and 18 years (parents).
I moved out of that house and into the property we bought just before we got married, and we still live here, happily, after almost 36 years!
One more move possibly on the cards, to a bungalow as we both have knee problems and stairs are getting a bit much at times! Husband is an only child, his father is eighty eight years old and has a lovely bungalow, so we're biding our time. I know that sounds evil of us, but with the crap we've taken from husband's family over the years, it would be a nice reward for not having torn my father in laws head from his neck!

Joan (Devon) said...

I have moved from Yorkshire to Northamptonshire to Devon to Wales and now back to Devon. There were a few houses I was sorry to leave, but all the moves involved a change of job for my husband so it couldn't be helped. I'm still not in my ideal house/home, but it's near enough and as this will be our last it will have to do.

Hard up Hester said...

Tania, being a constant cruiser can pose all sorts of problems, marinas are often not residential so you cannot have post delivered.
It's a bit easier for us as we still own a house even though we don't live in it.

Chris said...

I've been in my present home for 20 years but before that I had several moves of between 3 and 8 years each, all in the suburb. Before that, as newly weds, we rented an apartment for a few years while saving up for a down payment on a house. I hope to stay where I am now until they take me out feet first!

Wednesday

My Oddbox arrived this morning and I've shared it with Betty, in it there were potatoes, onions, spinach, aubergine, a huge cauliflower ...