Thursday 9 April 2020

Says it all really!

The difference between people.

 50 and counting went to all the trouble of writing a list of information on how to make my scrubs as useful as possible. I knew that a drawstring waist was best rather than elastic but I was uncertain which of the many pockets provided in the pattern would be best to use.
Thanks to 50 and counting I now know which pockets to use and where to place them.

Anonymous, on the other hand is small minded, petty and spiteful and assumes I'm complaining because I've been caught out.  Exactly the sort of person who spends time reporting neighbours for any infraction. I know of at least two people who have been reported for going out unnecessarily when in fact they were going to work as key workers.

Kate, I love the thought of the farmer letting the bull loose in the field.


I have spent the afternoon wrestling with my first scrubs top. The pattern I ordered was out of stock so I was offered a substitution and accepted. The substitution called for jersey fabric as well as poly cotton which I don't have. So I spent some time re-draughting the pattern. The fabric I bought is good quality but all the seams need to be enclosed and I broke a couple of needles even though I was using denim needles.
I hadn't allowed for the deterioration in my eyesight so navy blue wasn't the best choice, hey ho. Of course I've done all this with Steve explaining to me where I'm going wrong!

11 comments:

justjill said...

Well done for doing this. I am sure it will all come right and its a wonderful thing you are doing.

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

You're doing a great job Hester. There is another women on FTLOS who bought your pattern. She just did a straight forward top, I'm sure you'll do a great job. All these hospitals who didnt want amateur scrubs,are now scrambling for them.

50 and counting said...

Thanks, I was just trying to be helpful.

I have a couple of tops in the style pictured. The side panels are stretchy. If you redraft it, to make it a one piece pattern, the three pattern configuration is great.

Personally, I prefer the shapeless one piece without darts. Hides a multitude of sins and a lack of a waistline, lol

Lynda said...

You’re a saint! Good luck with the scrubs! Photos please!
Just made 8 masks and I’m back to sewing my quilts...I’ve had it with no-fun sewing!

50 and counting said...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=5B61672C40F305004EBF99251E12241A9565C460&thid=OIP.jprsmdgIxlUl0-UPuo6g_AAAAA&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fe2ebf77f067e04158e59-9a6e575ccda5b3682b4b53ebb87f786b.r95.cf2.rackcdn.com%2F2013%2F06%2FNavy-Unisex-Scrub-Tops.jpg&exph=300&expw=250&q=navy+scrub+top&selectedindex=9&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&ccid=jprsmdgI&simid=608013510167954665&sim=11

This is the easiest to wear style. pretty boxy in shape,

Jeannieuk said...

I applaud you Hester. I think it compares to working in the war effort whilst under friendly fire!

Sue in Suffolk said...

Hear Hear! to Jeannies comment above.

Clare said...

Hester, you're a star 💙 x

Sewing mamie said...

Steve could always give you advice from the other side of a closed door . Well done putting your time and expertise to such a good cause . Good luck .

mamasmercantile said...

Well done. You and the many others doing this are my unsung hero's for the day.

Lyssa Medana said...

Sending good vibes. You are awesome and doing more than many. You also have the patience of a saint with Steve who has always been lucky to have you.

btw I'm a big fan of 'judge not lest ye be judged'. Some people don't know when to take a step back.

This weeks veg box.

  Another nice selection of fruit and veg for this week, I'll share it with Betty again.