Saturday 30 April 2022

How much!

I know everything is going up in price so I was very glad when the coal we bought was still £14 a bag. The bottled gas had however gone up to £45, ouch.

The last bottle only lasted two months they usually last three months.

 I shall have to be more careful though we use more gas in the summer than we do in the winter because in the winter we have the stove lit 24/7. We keep the kettle full of water on the stove so it takes very little time for it to boil. My suggestion that we put less water in the kettle falls on deaf ears so I've ordered a vacuum mug to keep the water not once it's boiled. The water would mainly be used for washing up so if the jug affects the flavour of doesn't matter. 

I will try to cut down on making toast as well, it's often my go-to meal when I've cooked Steve something I don't like. Scrambled egg or  beans is an easy meal but I need to think of an alternative.

I used to batch cook but I don't now, partly because of Steve's fussyness and partly because I have no microwave. So anything I cook and freeze still has to be reheated in the oven.


7 comments:

Sue said...

Batch cooking just isn't as efficient if you don't have a microwave and limited oven time is it, it's far better to make smaller amounts that cook quicker each time you eat. It's finding what works for each of us best isn't it now that fuel prices are so high.

Rambler said...

Frustrating when you see Steve filling the kettle; can you tip some out or would that upset him? Instead of toast, what about a bowl of cereal? That's my stand-by when I can't have toast. Best of luck!

Chris said...

Ouch! That's expensive for your fuel. I'm afraid I don't pay much attention to my fuel consumption, just pay the bill when it comes in. I have switched to a plug-in hybrid car so my electricity bill is a bit higher but I haven't had to fill the gas tank in the car yet since I bought it in March!

flis said...

I've managed to halve the electric-I use 2 flasks for surplus water when I've boiled too much and only now shower every 2 days usually-I'm using the washing machine less often-and when the small woodburner is lit in the evenings I place 2 kettles on top which I didn't previously bother to do x

flis said...

I've managed to halve the electric-I use 2 flasks for surplus water when I've boiled too much and only now shower every 2 days usually-I'm using the washing machine less often-and when the small woodburner is lit in the evenings I place 2 kettles on top which I didn't previously bother to do x

Rhea said...

Gosh, that's expensive for gas. Up here on the T&M it's £37.50.....however our coal has risen to £16.10 a bag. Lots of saving to do this summer ready for next winter!

Lyssa Medana said...

Prices are crazy at the moment. I think one of the hardest things is that we have been used to prices being more or less the same. Now we have no idea how prices will change.

Sending hugs x

This weeks veg box.

  Another nice selection of fruit and veg for this week, I'll share it with Betty again.