Wednesday 20 August 2014

What a Carfuffle

I received a letter  a few days ago about renewing my car insurance with Hastings, I phoned & explained that I didn't want to renew as I no longer had the car. Well what a kerfuffle ensued. 
First of all I was told there would be a cancellation fee. What! I explained that I wasn't cancelling, merely 'not renewing' so I didn't see how they could charge me a fee. 
Then I was accused of lying about the date when I 'sold' the car, I was told it was 'unlikely' that I had managed to sell the car on the day the insurance was due and therefore I'd committed fraud!
I patiently explained that I had sold my car to a family member therefore the date of sale was arranged to suit me. I was then accused of allowing that family member to drive the car without valid insurance.
I explained that my policy had covered myself & said family member and also that the car was in for repairs for a few days, so had been off the road & therefor no-one had been driving it for the last few days of the policy. 
Finally realising that they couldn't charge me for anything or keep me as a customer I suddenly started to get the spiel about how they'd love to help me if I I ever bought another car. 
At this point I let rip & explained that I would never use them to insure anything ever again after the appalling way I had been treated, I said if all their calls were recorded as they claimed then I suggested that our conversation should be used as an example of how not to treat a customer!

2 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

I recently had an equally bad experience with Hastings when I changed my car and they won't get my repeat business. I'm with them to my next renewal but after that even if i have to pay more I'm going elsewhere.

cumbrian said...

Swinton aren't any better, pack of grabbing bastartds the lot of them.

Beano goes to the vet.

My neighbour Harry very kindly gave Beano and I a lift to the vets  this morning. Beano's dew claws were very overgrown. Time was I'...