Friday 13 April 2018

Locking through

We set off this morning to the nearest water point at Aldermaston Wharf, I drove the car, CHS moved the boat. 
I arrived at the lock first and there was a widebeam approaching so I started to get the lock ready for it. It was single handed so as he pulled into the lock landing I told him I'd lock him through and open the swing bridge for him. He was very grateful as he'd spent a sleepless night worrying about managing on his own.
CHS was approaching by now so I phoned him to tell him what was going on.
He moored behind the widebeam and helped the owner empty the lock and I opened the swing bridge.
After I'd let the widebeam through and closed the swing bridge I went back to refill the lock so CHS could get our boat through the lock. I checked first that no boats were wanting to come through the other way otherwise it would be a waste of water, not that there is any shortage of it at the moment.
Once the lock was full CHS moved into the lock, I emptied it, opened the gates and CHS moved on to the water point and started to fill our water tank.
We then moved from the water point and moored up on the towpath and we can stay here  until tomorrow morning, when we will move off again and head back to the marina.
Our engine is having its first service on Monday morning as we have done 50 hours traveling since it was fitted.

4 comments:

colin cuthbert said...

I wish there was a like button as there is on Facebook,
because I don't always have anything to comment on but do love you posts. Col at the end of the lane.

Catriona said...

I’d agree with Colin but here’s my comment for today. Well done on your kindness-hopefully someone will do the same for you when you need it.

Chris said...

What a great level of cooperation among the canal users. Hope it all comes back to you in spades!

justjill said...

I too wish there was a like button. I love your posts.

This weeks veg box.

  Another nice selection of fruit and veg for this week, I'll share it with Betty again.