Wednesday 27 September 2017

Hobby

So this week I am practising the art of cat herding.
It is not for the faint of heart!

My son and his gf have gone on holiday for a week and asked me if I would feed their cats for them.

They have three, a blue point Korat called Ellie, a huge and very nervous ginger tom called Koshka and the newest member a Bengal called Polly. They are all rescue cats, all very friendly without a scrap of malice between them.

The only problem is that the newest family member, the Bengal is terribly greedy, probably because she has been hungry in the past.

The first morning I went round Polly was waiting at the door for me despite it being just after 6am.

I put three bowls of food down on the kitchen floor but by the time the other two cats had made it into the kitchen Polly had cleared all three bowls of food.

I have now worked out a system where I feed Polly first, then let her out in the garden and then put food down for the other two cats.

Once they leave their food all bets are off and Polly clears the other bowls.

There is a large bowl of dry food available but Polly seems disinterested in this.

Once they have all eaten they all come for cuddles, apart from Koshka, he stands on the stairs with his back to me mewing pitifully until I go to him and stroke him.

4 comments:

justjill said...

Are you allowed to take pictures? They sound beautiful.

Chris said...

You are very kind to take on the task! I have done that in the past for my son and DIL's cats but usually they come to stay with me. One of them is much like Polly and even managed to get into the hall closet where I was hiding the dry food. She gorged on it then was monumentally sick!

galant said...

Cats are such characters. We used to have two, and then two neighbouring cats would sneak in and often I'd find them all feeding together. Now we are cat-less. I miss them, but not the calcified cat food on the kitchen floor! Nor having to keep the cat flap propped open all the time, day and night, allowing in a howling gale and rain to penetrate the kitchen in the winter, because one of the cats was too stupid to know how to operate the flap even though the other one would go in and out happily - even a compatriot demonstrating the art of the cat flap made not the slightest difference - he simply couldn't work it out!
Margaret P

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

They sound like some humans I know!

This weeks veg box.

  Another nice selection of fruit and veg for this week, I'll share it with Betty again.