Thursday 29 March 2018

A better day

We stayed in Kintbury, all day yesterday as it was raining very hard when we got up.
In the afternoon the sun came out so we walked to the village, it's a very attractive village and also very expensive. I went to the village shop and bought tomatoes, CHS went to the butcher's and bought sausages, pork belly and pork chops.
He likes pork, I don't eat it as it doesn't agree with me.
This morning my ankle was much improved, no swelling at all and only minor discomfort.
We set off at 11 and in no time the weather took a turn for the worse, torrential rain, sleet and a biting wind.
We tried a few times to find somewhere to moor but it was almost 4pm before we found somewhere suitable.
It's been hard going, the water is flowing very fast, the fields are waterlogged and the locks are hard to work with frozen hands whilst stood in a puddle of icy water. I even managed to fall arse over tip trying to scramble across a bridge to get to the other side of Dreweats lock.
We eventually moored just before Guyers lock, we are listing to starboard but I don't care, we are warm and dry.
Whilst CHS tied the boat up I topped up the fire and warmed some soup.
We were both soaked to the skin but CHS is more voluble than I am, he was bought up to believe that he will catch a cold if he gets wet, so he immediately starts complaining of a sore throat when it starts raining.
I did suggest he wore his waterproofs as we set off but he insisted he'd be ok in just a padded shirt.
He is now full of pork and chuckling away, reading Fat Chance by Nick Spalding. I shall try to finish a crochet lap blanket.

6 comments:

Margie from Toronto said...

Glad to hear that your ankle is feeling a bit better - but do take care.
It is a grey, wet, miserable day here as well but I'm nice and warm inside so must not complain. I hope you get a day or two of rest.

PS - CHS might have thought to pick up something you'd enjoy at the butcher's! :-)

justjill said...

I am sorry about your ankle and sorry that CHS was not happy, but now you are moored, to me it all sounds blissful do hope you level out.

Winters End Rambler said...

What an adventure! x

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

Life on the water is never boring. Have a great Easter.

Hard up Hester said...

Margie, no point as I prefer fruit ad chocolate to eat, lol.

colin cuthbert said...

I am going to upset CHS now.Time you changed rolls. You stearing him lockwheeling. You see so many ladies doing the hard work whilst hubby watches at a distance. Loving your account of your journey. Col in Suffolk

New neighbours.

A couple of days ago I met the couple who have purchased one of the flats here. The flat is over two floors, has two bedrooms, two bathrooms...