Thursday 6 October 2022

Macular traction and vestibular schwanoma.

I have Macular traction, this is where the macular becomes misshapen and it gets stuck. This causes distorted vision. It can be released by surgery which allows the macular to regain its correct shape and the vision improves. I have macular traction, not macular degeneration which is a different problem. I had surgery to release the traction in my left eye, it failed, it cannot be done again. I then developed the same traction in my right eye. I wasn't offered the surgery this time. I wouldn't have accepted it if I had. I am not blind, I have some very distorted, blurred vision. Nothing more can be done.

I think I have vestibular schwanoma, it is a form of tumour. I was diagnosed by an audiologist who was overruled by a more senior audiologist. The senior audiologist explained that vestibular schwanoma was not diagnosed at my age as surgery would be too expensive.

So I'm losing my eyesight and my hearing, I'm desperate to hang on to my hearing as being deaf is very isolating. I understand that is hard work trying to communicate with a deaf person. Steve has very little patience with me so most of our interactions are short questions. Am I hot or cold, what times tea, etc. Steve is particularly difficult to understand, I used to rely on lip reading but he covers his mouth with his hands or talks to me without facing me. He gets irritable if I remind him so I don't usually bother. I can't follow conversations in noisy places, I can't follow children's conversations as they are too high pitched, so I miss my grandchildren a lot. I'm hoping to access some help when we get in to our f!at, but I don't hold out much hope.

1 comment:

Ellen D. said...

Well, that is a lot to deal with and I am sorry you have to go through this. If hearing aids haven't helped, maybe cochlear implants would? It is a big decision to make and I hope you can find a doctor to listen and help you.

This weeks veg box.

  Another nice selection of fruit and veg for this week, I'll share it with Betty again.