Friday 25 January 2019

Clearing out the fridge

Scratching around, trying to make a meal.
I haven't managed to fit in a shop this week.

In the fridge I had a boned chicken thigh, 2 slices each of salami and chorizo, a handful of grated cheese and half a tub of thick cream, not much to feed the two of us.

I also had plenty of potatoes and other vegetables.

I sliced all the meat up and cooked it on a low heat.

I buttered a dish, half filled it with thinly sliced potatoes then put the cooked meat on top.

I mixed the cream with some hot water and poured it into the dish.

I added another layer of sliced potatoes and topped the dish up with the cream/water mix and sprinkled on the grated cheese.

It took about an hour to cook, I served it with brussels and courgette.

9 comments:

Sue said...

Very creative and sounds delicious!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

It does sound delicious....I usually try to have eggs on hand because that alone would satisfy me, but your meal sounds much better!

Heather said...

Sometimes they are the best meals when you clear your fridge you have to be more creative. Sounded lovely. Heather.

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

Great meal Hester,I love those sorts of meals.

Dc said...

Put together meals are fab. Unfortunately when you create a nice one, it’s hard to replicate.

Col said...

Next time you're making that, can I come to tea please? It sounds lovely!

Margie from Toronto said...

I've done the same sort of thing this week and certainly haven't gone hungry. But I will hit the shops today for a few things as I need both fruit, veg and dairy. Hope you have a good week.

Sue said...

There's something very satisfying about taking what at first seem like random little bits and bobs and turning them into a very tasty and nicely filling meal isn't there. This sounds like an excellent way to empty the fridge. I hope CHS approved :-)

readlisten said...

I am fairly new to your blog. CHS is your husband,I assume. What does CHS stand for? DD is something about daughters? I do find the abbreviations hard to understand. Your husband has had a stroke? I do feel for you as a carer, and wish you the very best.

Pavement special

On one of  yesterday's dog walks I stopped to talk to a South African lady. She has three small children and a small black dog. She aske...