Wednesday 29 July 2020

Sandford to Oxford

Yesterday we left Abingdon at about 9am, we went through Abingdon lock and moored up on the other side to get rid of our rubbish and fill up with water.

We then headed on towards Sandford lock, it was chilly, cloudy and windy with occasional spots of rain.

We were overtaken by five boats on the way to Sandford, when we reached the lock all five were on the lock landing and the lock gates were just opening.

The lock keeper waved us us all in, we were last in and last out. We moored just past the lock landing, we are close to the bank but Loulou managed to fall in twice!

We walked over to the Kings Arms and had a meal there, Steve had Hunters chicken and I had scampi.

This morning we moved on, we got to Iffley lock to find it was broken, it took about an hour to get it fixed and we were on our way. The next lock was Osney, we are now moored between Osney lock and Osney bridge. The mooring is free for the first 24 hours,  maximum stay is there days. I walked into Oxford, to the Westgate Centre to do some shopping, I bought some new shoes as the sole is flapping on my current pair, I've glued it a few times but it is a trip hazard, dangerous on a boat. I also bought two new hoodies from Primark, I always buy men's hoodies, the pockets are bigger. I bought three when we first bought a boat, Steve now has one of them and one I threw away any the end of last winter. The one I had left was very stained and worn so it will go in the bin along with my shoes.

8 comments:

justjill said...

Progressing. Would love some photos if thats possible. x

Beacee said...

Sounds like a good day, but poor LouLou! I hope you didn't end up in the water to rescue her.
Hugs x

flis said...

I'm pleased that you managed to get a meal this time.It sounds like the new items really were a necessity-and hoping Lou Lou has dried out x

Chris said...

Sounds like "mission accomplished" both on the water and at the stores. Good for you!

Sue in Suffolk said...

How good to be able to walk into Oxford and miss traffic jams and find just what you needed too .

keth said...

have been binge watching a youtube channel in the last week or so by a couple vlogging their way around the canals. won't say which one, I don't think its fair to drive traffic to their space from your blog, but I mention it because what I have found is that watching that has given me more appreciation for the things you mention and some of the pleasures and stresses of life aboard a canal boat. :) glad you got the necessities - and hope LouLou is ok!!

Hard up Hester said...

There are lots of blogs out there Keth, Steve watched some.

Sorry about the lack of photos, I'm usually too busy watching what's coming or hanging on to the ropes.

keth said...

oh yes, I'm sure there are - that's why i'm not mentioning the name, just that it gave me an appreciation for what life is like for you!

Pavement special

On one of  yesterday's dog walks I stopped to talk to a South African lady. She has three small children and a small black dog. She aske...