Thursday 23 August 2018

Overgrown and overlapping

But first.
I hate those people who set off for work so late that they need to drive at eleventy billion miles per hour so as not to arrive late. Part of the route I drive to take CHS to work varies between 50mph and the NSL, I never drive over 60mph as there are often dustbin lorries and cyclists ahead. But there is always some muppet who needs to drive up my arse because I'm not driving at the speed he/she would like. Also it is not quite light now in the mornings so I am coming up against my other pet peeve. Cyclists, dressed head to toe in black with no lights on their bikes!

Overgrown.
The path I walk along to get to the boat is getting very overgrown, I'm considering having blades fitted to the wheels of my wally trolley, in the style of Boudicca. That would soon take care of the long grass and nettles.

Overlapping
I think it was Tracy Ullman who said that her mother served leftovers so often that no one knew what the original meal had been.
We had lamb chops one evening with mashed potatoes, cauliflower and peas. I did extra mash on purpose as I knew there was a small amount of minced beef in the freezer. I cooked the beef with onions, mushrooms, grated carrot, oats and a handful of lentils. This stretched the beef far enough to make not only cottage pie, which used up the extra mash but also left enough to make spaghetti Bolognese for tonight's meal.

9 comments:

Dc said...

Very good use of leftovers. We too like leftovers, particularly spicy food as they seem to taste better than the original.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I think one gets a huge feeling of satisfaction at using up leftovers on something else and as Dc above says the leftovers often taste better than the original.

Col said...

We're so greedy in this house, there are never any leftovers!
Nope, I tell a lie, once I deliberately made triple the amount of beef stew and froze the two extras, which we ate at later dates. Does that count?

Elaine said...

I love the image of you and your Boudicca blades.

Margie from Toronto said...

The Boudicca blades are a brilliant idea! As for crazy drivers. just continue on as you do - it's their problem - and I know it's no consolation knowing they will hit you if you have to break but at least they'll be the ones charged! As for cyclists - don't even get me started - they are my pet peeve in almost all forms! The city has recently been expanding bike paths on many city streets - which I fully support (but of course it's never enough and the cycling lobbyists are always complaining about something). What I want is for them to obey the laws that apply to them as well when they use the roads - no running red lights or stop signs and for F*#K Sake "Get off the sidewalk!! I swear, the next cyclist who beeps at me to get out of their way as they roar down the sidewalk is going to get my cane through his wheel! Thank you - I needed that rant this morning.
As for leftovers - love them , planned and un planned - make my life so much easier.

Chris said...

Love leftovers too. I generally have two meals out of anything I cook which means no cooking every second night, just add a bit more veg. Today and tomorrow will be using up whatever is left in the fridge from last week's shop, then give the fridge a good clean before it is filled again on Saturday (that may not happen but one lives in hope!).

keth said...

With you on the cyclists thing. Just last night we were driving home late when we passed someone walking on the side of the road, back to cars (on grass, no pavement on that side, but there is on the other), dressed head to toe in black, his hood up. the only reason I saw them at all is because the soles of their shoes were a pale colour. otherwise I would not have seen them. They really do need to do better and THINK....!!!

Cro Magnon said...

Many French kitchens contain just a free standing two ring gas cooker, yet the cooks (mostly women) manage to cook wonderful meals. I recently changed our equally eccentric oven, and have only used it once.

Hard up Hester said...

I can cook most things, it's just cakes that defeat me.

Not a good day!

I had to admit to Steve that I'm struggling with my eyesight and my hearing. He is extremely annoyed though I'm not sure what he exp...