Monday 23 March 2020

Mother's Day

This is what my daughter posted on Facebook today.


Happy Mothers Day to my mummy! She taught me all the skills I need to survive this! 💪
🔹️Patience of a saint - well not quite but I'm close 😬
🔹️Realistic expectations in parenting - ok calling my 5 year old, a knob to her face isn't great but I'm only human 🤷‍♀️
🔹️A dark sense of humour - we all need a laugh in these times just don't say it loud enough for anyone to report you 🤐
🔹️To live in chaos and embrace the madness - I was raised in a home overrun with wild children, I just feel like I'm back in my childhood home. And the madness..well, that's hard to avoid so I'll just throw myself into it! 🤪
🔹️To eat what I'm given and make dinners out of almost nothing - lumpy milk featured heavily in my childhood! As did chicken 'stoup' (too runny for stew, too lumpy for soup) Last night we had 4 portions of spag bol and tonight we have 8 portions of lasagna..12 dinners all from 250g of mince! Ok its hunt the mince but that's how I was raised! 🧐
🔹️That worrying is like a rocking chair, it's something to do but it gets you nowhere - there are better things to do with my time ⌚
🔹️Life isn't about surviving! It's about thriving! - and I do! My kids do! We are thriving, and kicking the sh*t out of life! 🥳
🔹️IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD - a phrase I didn't like growing up, cos so many things felt so big but now, it's a phrase I LOVE! There's nothing better than a mother that takes this attitude to every bomb you drop! 💣
21 - mum I'm pregnant 🤰
36 - mum I'm leaving my marriage and home...🏃‍♀️
And now, in this global crisis, it's still Not The End Of The World! Thank you mum for all of it! ❤❤

17 comments:

rosemarie said...

....and this is what makes it all worthwhile. Words that are so true and heartfelt. You did well, and I hope that this crisis passes and we all come out better people for it. I love reading your blog, and here in N:W Italy as we hunker down for yet another week in isolation with even stricter rules than before I wish you and yours all the best, keep up the good fight. Love Ro xx

Dc said...

Lovely daughter, well said.

Heather said...

That made me chuckle this morning. Your daughter sounds very much like mine.

Hard up Hester said...

I don usually delete anonymous comments but I made an exception for that particular little Ray of sunshine.

Pattii said...

Beautiful ❤

Marilyn Bennett said...

You certainly raised a great daughter. She will survive anything thrown at her. Good on you Mum.

Margie from Toronto said...

What a great post and a daughter who obviously loves and appreciates her mom!

Anonymous said...

Strong woman! No whining, no hand-wringing, it is what we hope for in the younger generations! I have two strong daughters, both nurses, both with handicapped children.
Joyce

busybusybeejay said...

What a great post.Made me chuckle.

Ellen D. said...

I am sure that made you feel good! Nice post!!

Sarah Head said...

Wonderful post! Thank you for sharing.

Clare said...

What a lovely and funny tribute Hester, thank you for sharing x

Theresa Y said...

If that doesn't show you how much you're loved and cherished I don't know what does. Beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

You have raised all your children well.

Frugal in Derbyshire said...

Brilliant! You got it right !

flis said...

Great Mother and Great Daughterxx

Col said...

I don't have a daughter, but I do have a strong and capable son who married a girl who was a tad snow flakey when they met, but has turned into an amazing woman and mother.
I'm very grateful that they have their heads screwed on properly, and can deal with whatever problems pop up. All those years of helping him sort problems out, but not solving them for him definitely paid off!
You got it right with your kids too, not a snowflake in sight!
It's nice that they're aware of what we did for them too, so many just seem to take their mums for granted! X

Walking with a list on.

Y'day I had to take my stick to lean on when I went out, today I don't need my stick but I can't walk in a straight line. Nemmin...