Monday 30 March 2020

Late 1960's

In the late 1960's I was living in a bedsit near Wandsworth prison I was 16.

My parents divorce was relatively amicable but I was "not wanted on board". When the marital home in Wimbledon was sold  they both moved on with their lives. I was considered old enough to fend for myself.

I had been training as a hairdresser, I had no interest in this, it had been my mother's decision. I expect she fancied saving on her hairdressing costs.
My wages were £3, I worked in a salon in Knightsbridge once I was on my own I couldn't afford a bedsit in Knightsbridge nor could I afford the train fare to Knightsbridge so I found a bedsit and a job near Wandsworth prison.

My wages were  now £4 per week and my rent £3 10 shillings, £3.50 in today's money. I had a gas and electricity meter I don't think I ever put any money in the gas meter but I put a few pennies in the electric meter. I just sat with my coat on in the winter and washed in cold water most of the time. There was a shared bathroom, I was allocated to have a bath on Wednesdays. It was a race between the three of us who were on the Wednesday list to get the first bath when the water was hot. This was not really much of a hardship as I'd grown up with no hot water and no central heating. 

Once I'd moved in I bought one item every week when I got paid, a sheet,  a blanket, a plate and a cup, a knife, fork and spoon all from the local market, I bought the bare minimum so I could have some home comforts.  Apart from that I bought only food, soap and toothpaste. A loaf of bread, a tub of margarine, a lump of cheese. One meal a day, a cheese sandwich, fortunately we got free tea and coffee at work. At home I drank water.

I walked to and from work, it was about half a mile. I had little social life as I had no money to go out but occasionally a friend would visit.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a good life compared to mine!

flis said...

My parents divorced when I was an immature 19 and I didn't cope well.I seemed ok I think to them and I worked but got into scrapes and had bad relationships to belong I think.You did really great and what I've understood from here you went on to bigger and better things.You've done good Hester and still are x

Hard up Hester said...

Sorry to hear that Anon, I don't feel my life was bad, it just was what it was.

Ellen D. said...

That does sound like a hard life but you have certainly made the most of it and you are such a strong person now taking care of all around you! I am very impressed with you! Inspires me to count my blessings. Thanks!

Chris said...

The difficult start to your adult life probably made you a stronger, more self-sufficient person. I'm sure it has paid off in spades!

Sally said...

I think coming through that rubbish made you as mentally strong as you are. Some parents really don’t remember that their job is to look after their children all their lives not until they can go to work! You are such a different sort of mother as I retread what you do for your children and grandchildren. I hope you are staying as safe and well as you can and that Steve isn’t too hard on your nerves. With best wishes from Ramsgate. Sally

Sally said...

That was regularly read not retread blooming autocorrect!

Sue said...

I had a friend with a different but in some ways just as awful start in life. Her mother was a junkie and neglected her terribly. She woke up on Christmas Day when she was around 7 or 8 to find her Mum had overdosed in the night. She was put into care and then fostered and shunted round care homes in Manchester until she was 16, then she was provided with a one room bedsit and left to fend for herself. She moved out got herself a different bedsit and 'left' the system behind.

I knew her from her being 15 until her death in 2004, she never celebrated Christmas again but she turned into a strong and resilient woman … just as you did.

Wardrobe

We have a wardrobe in the bedroom that was left by the previous resident. It is perfectly sound but it smells of stinky feet. I've tried...