Tuesday 17 March 2020

Prick

On Saturday I helped at a jumble sale in aid of the Wessex Cancer Trust. There were two new helpers one of whom was serving beside me.

She asked if I was local and I explained about living on a boat.

She immediately went into raptures about how lucky I was and how it was her dream to live on a boat.

She waxed lyrical about sitting on the front deck with a cold glass of wine whilst watching the scenery pass by. About having no housework to do as boats are so small. About not having to work as there were no bills to pay. About having a boater's stove to keep her warm.

By the time I'd explained about the locks and swing bridges, the cost of the boat licence, insurance, mooring fees, about lugging in the coal in and clearing out the ash, her happy bubble was well and truly pricked!

12 comments:

Poppypatchwork said...

Love this post, you made me laugh...................

Sue in Suffolk said...

Lots of boaters would think - That's good - one less live aboard to slow down when going by!

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

I just think you're brilliant. say it as it is.

The Weaver of Grass said...

This made me smile. People have such daft dreams without really knowing what is involved don't they?

Anna said...

Oh Hester you did make me laugh! Best wishes to you and Steve. Ax

justjill said...

still laughing. Thanks I needed that.x

AlisonB43 said...

Soon after we bought our motorhome, my boss at the time said "ooo I always wanted to get a motorhome". Without thinking I said, "you would lose interest the first time you had to empty the cassette toilet!" He did actually agree but it was so true, people only see the good side of things.

Anonymous said...

But presumably this was exactly what you thought when you bought the boat ?

Hard up Hester said...

No anonymous, I'd been on quite a few boating holidays before we bought the boat and anyway I rarely drink alcohol!

Chris said...

Brilliant response, Hester!

kate steeper said...

those conversations , i love them . Other half the other day "i think we should get some chickens " yes oh physically handicapped one and who would be expected to care for the ruddy things ?

Hard up Hester said...

Kate you know you have lots of free time to care for chickens 😂

Beano goes to the vet.

My neighbour Harry very kindly gave Beano and I a lift to the vets  this morning. Beano's dew claws were very overgrown. Time was I'...