Monday 11 January 2021

What's the score

I met up with DD2 yesterday, she has started internet dating again. She can't meet up with anyone, not just because of lockdown but also her ex now only sees the children for 10 hours a fortnight sometimes even less and doesn't have them overnight. As DD2 meets me once a fortnight when she is child free for a dog walk that leaves her very little spare time. But the dating gives her someone to talk to and sometimes lots of ammunition for her stand-up comedy routines that she does over zoom. She always makes it quite clear that she is not looking for a relationship.

She recently started chatting to someone who was very insistent that he was only looking to talk to intelligent people as he was very intelligent himself. DD2 wasn't particularly interested but he kept messaging her always repeating that he needed someone who matched his intelligence. Eventually she asked him what his score was, she knows her own as my ex had all our children tested. It seems his score is 114 which means he is bright, unfortunately for him DD2's score is 126, suddenly he's not interested in chatting any more!

 

4 comments:

Siebrie said...

What a weird thing to try and base a relationship (of whatever form) on. It doesn't take 'streetwise' or 'practicality' into account, and can change over a lifetime.

Col said...

I'm a member of Mensa, with an IQ far, far higher than that of my husband. It makes absolutely no difference to how we feel about one another, we have a brilliant relationship and are more in love than when we met almost forty years ago!
My husband's IQ is just above average, and mine's just a few points away from making me a genius, which, incidentally, I am most definitely not!
I'm far more interested in what a person is like emotionally, and am actually not surprised to hear that your daughter encountered a fairly bright, but emotionally empty person, there are quite a few of them about, especially on-line!
I've met a lot of people who have incredible intelligence but absolutely no personality, and a total lack of empathy. In fact one of the brightest people I've ever known is an absolute twat, a truly unbearable person to be near, he gives me headaches, and I'm quite sure that my blood pressure surges upwards whenever he annoys me, which is while he's breathing!
IQ is all well and good in the right circumstances, but certainly not as a basis for any kind of a relationship!

Ellen D. said...

Your daughter was lucky to get away from that one! Strange man!

Bettina Groh said...

Wouldn't call him bright...only 4 points above normal IQ range of 90 to 110

This weeks veg box.

  Another nice selection of fruit and veg for this week, I'll share it with Betty again.