Saturday 2 December 2023

Soup

When one of the residents went into the attic above the summer house they discovered that the roof was leaking. The manager organised a couple of quotes, both came in at around £1000.

This seemed a bit steep  to have half a dozen tiles replaced so Steve and two other residents decided to do the job themselves.

They did the job this morning, which included replacing some of the tile batten that was soaked through and rotten.

Whilst the men worked at repairing the roof myself and another resident put the tree up in the summer house and decorated it. As it got to lunch time and the men were still busy I offered provide soup.

Someone went to the nearest shop for some baguettes and I heated up the soup I'd made. Steve is having to accept that my cooking is not as bad as he thinks it is as the soup and baguettes went down a treat with many people having seconds.

I've offered to make mince pies and cheese palmiers next week. It makes a pleasant change to cook for people who don't turn their nose up at home made food.

10 comments:

Catriona said...

We have snow today and it was certainly a day for soup. Glad the people you made it for enjoyed it. Catriona

Chris said...

What a great idea! And good the roof is fixed without a huge expense.

maureenlthompson said...

Good for you. Great that the guys were able to fix the roof and save a lot of money. A win-win for you both.

Marjorie said...

I am glad you have found people to enjoy your cooking. Good job to those who fixed the roof.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you found your efforts were appreciated.
Most people love home made meals.
I never eat store bought soup.
It's awful and loaded with chemicals and salt.

My Piece of Earth said...

Your soup was well received and enjoyed, people love home made soup, so much healthier than the cans or packaged stuff.
You sound a lot happier at the moment.
Cheers.

Ellen D. said...

Sounds like a pleasant day with your neighbors!

lexie said...

I'm glad you heard compliments from others. It must be satisfying to realize the problems with your cooking are all in Steve's head.

Anonymous said...

There you go, compliments all round,now he'll have to eat his words won't he -or go hungry! love Carrie x

Anonymous said...

I love that your homemade soup was a hit and enjoyed!! That was a win!!
Dawn P. Albany, Georgia USA

Lunch out

Betty and I went shopping today, I didn't buy anything but I was happy to wander around the shops with her. Betty was buying gifts for a...