Thursday 19 January 2017

The lighthousekeepers wife

My grandchildren like the Lighthouse Keepers Lunch to be read to them as a bedtime story.
In the story Mr Grinling and his wife live in a little cottage on the cliffs above the lighthouse.
When they are in bed Mr Grinling can see the light and hear the horns on the passing ships tooting.
I assume Mrs Grinling can see and hear the same things.

I'm beginning to feel like the lighthouse keepers wife.
My L&M has recently decided that all the upstairs doors need to be closed at night to keep the heat in.
This is ok but it means I cannot see where I am going when I get up to go to the toilet during the night.
So after 3 or 4 weeks of me cannoning off the bed and the walls hubby decided his sleep was being disturbed way too much.
So he bought a nightlight to fix above the bathroom door, it has a motion sensor so it comes on when I get up in the night.
Unfortunately it as developed a fault and flashes on and off throughout the night.
It doesn't disturb my beloved because he sleeps on the far side of the room.
I however sleep nearest to the door, what with the light and my beloved farting like a foghorn I really do feel like the lighthouse keepers wife.

7 comments:

justjill said...

You do make me laugh. The Lighthouse Keepers books are a favourite with me and my family. I had strong connections with the Museum of Scottish Lighthouses.. You might like others in the series. I will leave you to work out which would be applicable ! x

Fishcake_random said...

Lol you must look like your holding all night raves from outside with all the flashing.
x

Hard up Hester said...

JJ, we only have the lunch and Picnic stories, I will look out for the others.
Sarah I'm just glad it's not a red flashing light, otherwise the neighbours might think I was running a brothel!

TrishWish said...

Husband suggested he needed LED string of lights under the bed edge so he can find his way back at night!! Sounds like emergency lights in a plane to me. I suggested he could see well enough by the blasted glow of his alarm clock radio which keeps me awake! Weird how disrupted sleep can make you very grumpy.

Emmbee said...

We have the sensor lights attached to the skirting boards so they actually light up where we walk. We live in the country, so no light from elsewhere. Our lights blink when they need new batteries. I love the lighthouse keepers lunch. It was interesting to see, when I was in England, that your seagull are much larger than those here in Australia.

Lyssa Medana said...

I think you're the only couple I know where the man sleeps nearest the door.

Good luck with the lights. x

Beverley said...

You do make me laugh. We too loved those books.

Pavement special

On one of  yesterday's dog walks I stopped to talk to a South African lady. She has three small children and a small black dog. She aske...