Sunday 15 October 2017

So I went to the laundrette

I wanted to establish the time and costs involved, from although dd2 has offered to do washing and drying for my when I spend time with dgd9, I want to pay her for doing it.
Dgd9  is three years old but the 9th grandchild.

So I went into the laundrette and bade the attendant, who was stood behind the counter a cheery hello, she merely grunted  in reply.

I read the instructions and started a wash going, I went to buy a loaf of bread whilst the wash was on.

I returned to the laundrette and once the machine had finished it's watery tango I emptied the washing into the dryer and sat with my crochet waiting.

After a few minutes a very flash Audi parked on the double yellow lines out side the laundrette and three people entered.

There was a woman in her 40's, her daughter who was in her 20's and a toddler.

The laundrette attendant immediately came out from behind the counter and stood with her arms folded.

The older of the two women came over and started to ask me about my crochet. She had no discernible accent but her speech had a very unusual cadence. I recognised it immediately.

After about half an hour I went to remove my bedding from the tumble dryer and left the towels in to continue drying.

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the younger women walking over to sit beside my bag that I had left by the bench. I'm sure she rifled through it whilst my back was turned. I didn't say anything as my phone and purse were in my pockets, all that was in my bag was my crochet, a loaf of wholemeal bread and some empty carrier bags.

I'm glad my daughter has offered to do my washing for me, I don't want to have to use the laundrette again.

In case you are wondering the wash cost £4 for a twenty minute wash and the dryer was also £4 for an hour's drying, plus £1 to park. It could have proved a lot more expensive if I hadn't recognised the didicoy patois!

10 comments:

Fishcake_random said...

Eeek! That sounds like a lucky escape. Well done for keeping your head.
My local laundrette carries a warning about leaving designer goods unattended as they'll disappear from your machine. Sad days we live in.

X

Fishcake_random said...

Eeek! That sounds like a lucky escape. Well done for keeping your head.
My local laundrette carries a warning about leaving designer goods unattended as they'll disappear from your machine. Sad days we live in.

X

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

Goodness, I have used a launderette when I had two large quilts to wash. I went after tea and it was empty.But there were some low life's hanging around my car outside.

kate steeper said...

had to chuckle , we have a lot of the people with the particular accent in this area , they were quite openly shoplifting in a local charity shop recently , i told the assistant and she said they had been told to ignore it and never tackle them because it was a health and safety matter

kathy said...

Well done to be so on the ball. The thieving ............,!!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rather scary Hester - but a good lesson learned for us all.

Margie from Toronto said...

Yikes - that is so expensive for a load of laundry!
One half hour load of laundry and 1 hour of the dryer are a pound each in my apt. laundryroom.

pollyanna said...

Should you suddenly desire a very flash Audi that's the way to get one!
If anyone went near my crochet , knitting or any other craft i wouldn't be responsable for my reaction .
At least an attendant with a folded arm stance is one to watch out for in future,they don't take any messing .
Only four days to freedom Hester have you perfected your final flounce?
pollyx

sanpiseth40 said...

Hello!! I'am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited.Thank you.
ตารางบอล

Bonnie said...

Bloody ell at the expense, n also at the freaky bag snooper😲😲😲😲

Wardrobe

We have a wardrobe in the bedroom that was left by the previous resident. It is perfectly sound but it smells of stinky feet. I've tried...