Sunday 25 April 2021

It's only money

 I feel that I have been badly let down by the local NHS audiology department. Every time I send in my hearing aids in to be repaired they are returned to me unchanged. Various excuses are given, these have included "these are not your hearing aids therefore we cannot repair them"  and "there is nothing wrong with these aids, you may have wax build up in your ears". The aids play a chime when  they are turned on and when the batteries need changing. These chimes are playing almost continuously and I fail to see how wax in my ears could cause this and anyway I do not have a wax build up in my ears. As it costs £14 every time I post of my aids I'm pretty pissed off with the level of service. 

I find it exhausting trying to follow conversations, sometimes I just switch off as it is such hard work.

Despite being deaf himself, Steve is very irritated by my inability to hear and he huffs and tuts when I ask him to repeat what he has said.

I was refused a T Loop facility in my aids as I'm now retired, it is not deemed necessary.

Lockdown has been difficult for everyone, I know this but I feel that it has been made unnecessarily difficult for me. People who couldn't visit family and friends could keep in contact via phone calls and zoom but I couldn't.

So enough is enough, I'm making an appointment to have private hearing aids. I understand that there are financial constraints on the NHS but having paid in all my working life it seems unfair that I am not eligible for treatment for my vestibular shwannoma or a decent level of care. 

As my eyesight continues to deteriorate I will soon be unable to read subtitles so I feel that decent hearing aids are a must, I just hope there are some that are suitable.


14 comments:

Chris said...

So frustrating for you, Hester! I don't think I would be as stoical as you.

Sue in Suffolk said...

I'm crossing everything that you are able to get sorted so you can hear properly again.

Anonymous said...

My husband wears hearing aids . Our local department has opened for face to face consultations . He rings for an appointment ( perhaps someone could do this for you) he has hearing aids controlled from his phone . They are NHS . I feel you are being fobbed off. Get a referral from your GPand make them start again. Hope this helps.

Poppy and Me said...

I have private hearing aids. It is a lot of money but worth it to me as they are great and charge up overnight. Keep at it as they can transform your life. x Val

Diary of a Nobody said...

Take care my mother in law contacted a company recommended by saga about some new hearing aids . The man came out tested her hearing and order the aids , she would not tell us how much they cost but more than £1000, despite having the man back twice they are still not working properly .
At the time we felt she would have been better if she could have gone to boots or even spec savers .

Sue said...

It sounds as though you are being treated so badly, I do hope you can get this sorted or some private hearing aids at a reasonable cost. Do you have a Boots Hearing Centre near you, I believe they are very good, they are usually attached to their opticians branches or nearby.

WorcsAnnie said...

Hi Hester, my hubby had his hearing aids free from Specsavers. If he has a problem with them he rings the number given and an audiologist comes over to our local branch( she comes over regulary anyway to do the testing) and takes his aids away and then brings them back also free of charge.

He had the same problem with the high pitched noise all the time and she adjusted them and they are now perfect. It is disgraceful that you are having to go private.

WorcsAnnie said...

I think I have lost my previous post so have posted again

Hubby had his aids (NHS) free of charge via Specsavers. He had the same problem as you a high pitched noise all the time. The Audiologist comes over regulary to do hearing tests and takes the aids away with her and brings them back free of charge.

She adjusted the aids to stop the noise and they have been great ever since

It is disgraceful that you are having to pay private.

Anonymous said...

My husband has had excellent service from the NHS hearing clinic. His aids have been repaired when necessary, he also had the advice to have his ears syringed when getting the high pitched noise and the syringing stopped the noise. He hadn't realised he had a build up of wax. Have you had your ears professionally checjked for wax?

Perhaps some NHS audiology services are better in some areas but I can tell you that here in the North West of England the services have been excellent.

Debby said...

That would be very frustrating. I have a friend here who just got a new dog. His dog chews. Furniture. Rugs. Eyeglasses and both of his hearing aids (which cost him nearly $1800!) Would you be provided 'new' hearing aids if you lost these ones? If you need help, I am very good at losing things.

Anonymous said...

Who is your MP ? Contact them and say what you have said here, bring up the fact that you are effectively a carer for DH after his stroke. I know some people think contacting an MP is pointless but I have always found it a very successful way of getting things done. Most seem to enjoy getting their teeth into something like this. My MP was Theresa May when I needed support with a disabled child. She simply could not do enough for us and we got a result we could not have dreamed of . ( I do not mean financial support I mean actual care. )

Heather said...

My brother in law also went to Specsavers who referred him on. How very frustrating and not a good service at all from the NHS. Hope you get better service if you do go private.

happy hooker said...

I can only repeat what others have said. I have NHS aids, I'm retired and was asked if I wanted the T loop facility on mine, so I can't understand why they said you're not eligible. I haven't needed mine repaired, but when I need new batteries or tubes, I just phone up and they arrive in the post a few days later. Maybe contact your GP and explain your difficulty. Don't give up! xx

lindsey said...

Isn’t hearing loss awful? I have NHS aids which are great. I do hope that you manage to get things sorted out as it makes life so much easier. Very best wishes to you xxx

Wardrobe

We have a wardrobe in the bedroom that was left by the previous resident. It is perfectly sound but it smells of stinky feet. I've tried...