Saturday 10 April 2021

There is a bit missing

 In some ways Steve has made a very good recovery from his stroke but in some ways there is a bit missing.

He does the funniest things and sometimes I struggle not to laugh though this would be very unkind as he is trying to get things right.

Just a few examples, I struggle to hear and rely on lip reading to a certain extent. People wearing masks make this very difficult. Because of this Steve bought me a clear face mask, this was very kind and thoughtful but I need other people to wear clear masks, me wearing one doesn't help at all.

Last week Steve realised I was reusing an empty lurpak container for the butter, next time he went shopping he bought me a new plastic container. He was so proud that he'd thought of it. Unfortunately he bought me a cereal container so it was no good for butter.

The funniest was probably yesterday, our breakfast bar is very shiny and sometimes looks wet. I put the kitchen roll down and it tipped over. Steve got very stressed trying to dry the breakfast bar with a teatowel, he was convinced that the kitchen roll was leaking!

8 comments:

Chris said...

Bless him, he loves you.

Col said...

Oh Sue, I'm so sorry, I just dissolved giggling at the thought of Steve and his leaky kitchen roll!
After my Dad had a major stroke he would worry constantly about all the fluff on the carpets, there was no fluff, but the vacuum cleaner was kept handy, and would be whizzed around the room just to stop him worrying!
It's awful when they say or do really funny things and we can't laugh isn't it?
After a series of minor strokes, Dad got brutally honest, and would say things such as "That woman looks like a proper miserable so and so, I pity her husband', "Well, that hat looks ridiculous on her, she'd be better off wearing a bucket", "Look at him, he's wearing a toupee", and to a very sour faced woman who was berating a shop assistant, "Leave her alone, and take your nasty face home, you look as though you're chewing a wasp"!!! We used to quietly explain and apologise, but eventually gave up and just ignored it!
All you can do is bite your lip, or as we did, dig your fingernails into the palm of your hand to stop yourself laughing, and in your case, make sure you don't knock that damned kitchen roll over! X


mamasmercantile said...

Aww that is so lovely and thoughtful. I can see why you smile.

JanF said...

Sounds as though you are doing very well with the situation. Strokes can be devastating.
You have a marvelous sense of humor.

kate steeper said...

Word Salad is other halfs major problem what he wants to say and thinks hes saying can be completely different , but you musnt point it out or he starts ranting . Its all worse when hes tired and then you spot that one side drops slightly and his balance is terrible ...but hey ho we just plod on

Anonymous said...

My husband hasn't had a stroke but I wonder what goes on in his head- perhaps a slight Asperger's !
I asked my husband to bring me the bottle of dish washing liquid but he didn't. He said there was only a bottle of Fairy liquid by the sink and that wasn't what I asked for. Duh.
Lee

ShellyC said...

My mother had about six strokes in all. She got worse with each one.
She could be quite spiteful and nasty at times before hand. She became so horrible and couldn't open her mouth without spitting bile at you. My poor sister coped the lot as she was her main carer. Sometimes I had trouble being in the same room, she was so upsetting.
Still she expected us to look after her needs, never understood why people might be annoyed/upset.
You just soldier on with it though don't you.

Anonymous said...

At least you still have your husband with you. Mine died and I'd give anything to have him here, I don't think I'll ever get over it and to all those who say time heals - no it does not.

Walking with a list on.

Y'day I had to take my stick to lean on when I went out, today I don't need my stick but I can't walk in a straight line. Nemmin...