Friday 19 March 2021

Vanity mileage

 I'm not sure if it's a thing? 

I remember when posh dress shops used to do vanity sizing. The dresses were all sized about  4 sizes smaller than they actually were. This encouraged people to shop there as they felt slimmer.

Anyway on to vanity mileage, Steve doesn't think I walk Beano as far as I claim. At first he thought I was exaggerating.

I was actually going by the fitness app on my phone. So I wondered if the app was misjudging how far I walk. I don't jiggle my phone when I'm walking and I only carry my phone when I'm out. The rest of the time my phone sits it the window, the only place it gets a signal.

I've started using the Strava app, this pinpoints my route with GPS. This seems even worse, I did my usual morning walk with Beano, off the marina and along the tow path, as usual he refused to go far. I've estimated this walk to be about half a mile, Steve thinks it's nowhere near that. According to Strava it's 1.1 mile.

So is it vanity mileage to make me think I walk a greater distance than I actually achieve. Is anyone else using these fitness trackers and having similar issues?

9 comments:

Trudie said...

Not sure about the distance issue but I recently found that the stride length on my fitness tracker was set at 28 inches - I'm 66 with arthritic knees and hips, measured my stride length and it was 14 inches, re set the watch and steps have increased since - so if you think you do more steps then your watch records, check the stride length in the settings section on the fitness watch.Hope it helps xx

JanF said...

A friend used to wear a little device on her wrist which showed how far she walked. This was before the latest technology. She gave it up when she noticed it clocked a 4 mile walk while she was just driving somewhere.
It does not matter, you are walking when and how you like , it's therapeutic to get out there and does you ( and Beano) good.

Chris said...

I don't have any apps or fitness trackers but at one point I counted my steps to the Community Centre - 2000 steps - so there and back gave me 4000, not too shabby as I was doing it three times a week before COVID!

slimsdotter said...

I think Strava goes by GPS, so I would believe it to be accurate.

Moira said...

I use the strata app on my phone, it is usually pretty accurate except when there is a spike on the maps or it has me walking on water. At the moment I am walking on streets where it works fine but it is not so good when I go cross country like round the reservoir it cuts corners and goes across water.

Hard up Hester said...

Thanks everyone.

Moira, I'm not up for walking on water, lol, only beside it.

keth said...

Hester - you can work out how far you've gone on maps like these: https://onthegomap.com/#/create - there are a number of them around, some more useful than others. If you can remember where you walked them it can give quite a specific result. Might help to settle the argument between you and Steve. Good luck!

Hard up Hester said...

Thanks Keth

AnnaD said...

My husband and I both have versions of Fitbits. We sometimes walk together and I might have done 4/4.2 miles and he has completed 5 miles minimum! 😮I don’t really mind as I only use it to “beat” myself! However far you walk you are doing better than the person sat on the settee. Enjoy your walking however long - pr short, and know you are keeping yourself fit! Well done & keep chirpy👍🤞😊

This weeks veg box.

  Another nice selection of fruit and veg for this week, I'll share it with Betty again.