Wednesday 8 November 2017

Side hustles

Still worrying about money and wondering what else I can do to make some extra pennies.

My crochet skills are improving so I'm wondering about trying to sell some of the blankets I make.

Though where to sell them is also a problem, Etsy is huge, so many people already selling on there.
I may try Facebay, there is nothing to lose is there.

I do a few surveys but I'm the wrong age/gender for most of them so I've earned about 20p in the last 6 months.

I still follow MFin3 and I'm glad to see her posting regularly again, maybe there will be some suggestions there.

Also a lot of the things I used to do to save money such as stocking up on reduced food and batch cooking for the month ahead are no longer viable in such a small space.

I have my sewing machine out and today I made a door curtain and some draught excluder snakes to help keep the boat warm.

Captain Hot Stuff's shifts are all over the place at the moment, he's covering for a colleague who isn't well.
I'm losing track and have to ask him as we are going to bed 'What time are you starting tomorrow' I know he is on the late shift, but the times are different each day.

10 comments:

justjill said...

Go into the crafting local sales? Coming up to Christmas. Check out local shops who sell locally crafted items.

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

As you finished work before the end of the financial year you should be entitled to a rebate. Check it out. I was given the forms when I retired but as I'm self assessment due to having a rental property I had to wait until the following year but I did get a rebate.

pollyanna said...

Hester the suggestion on Local crafting sales is a good one . Many people still look at notice boards in local shops so maybe offering to take orders for sewn or crochet items could work . Our coop and post office have postcards offering all sorts of services . Playgroups and nurseries do too.
I'm another glad to see Elaine blogging again . She really motivates me to get on and do something . I always think if she wasn't so busy at work her blog would make a series of very useful books . I have an awful lot of bookmarks from her site including a lovely knitted shawl from a few years ago I am finally going to knit for a few christmas gifts plus one for me .
polly x

Debdor said...

I know someone who sells a lot of crochet on Facebay. In fact she takes custom orders now... How about putting up a postcard offering to do some extra cleaning on the QT?

Hard up Hester said...

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Rural Reads said...

You might find a market for simple alterations lime taking up hems etc. Do you have local facebay pages on Facebook? Good luck

Rural Reads said...

You might find a market for simple alterations lime taking up hems etc. Do you have local facebay pages on Facebook? Good luck

Anonymous said...

as per RR above, there's certainly a massive opening for alterations here: all of those doing them are constantly committed for weeks ahead.
W

Joy said...

Could you try YouGov? I've had £100 from them since I started. The points build up slowly but they do build.
J x

Hard up Hester said...

I will look into the alterations idea and look at yougov too.

Wardrobe

We have a wardrobe in the bedroom that was left by the previous resident. It is perfectly sound but it smells of stinky feet. I've tried...